Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #1

New user, don't own a china bike yet.

I just join to gather info before I take the plunge into china ownership.

I have been considering the lifan and zongshen models, but haven't been able to commit yet. No close by authorized dealers even I found a lifan gy20-2 at a custom harley shop, but he wanted $1500 for it.

Is that an american or grey market model?

Allen

Old 05-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
If it's a gy20-2 and not a gy200-2 then its an american lifan and not a grey market.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #3

It just had gy20-2 on the side panel and the vin# started with LF. One of the stickers had a manufacture date of 4/2006 on it. He said it was the last one he had.

$1500 included tax, but it seem a bit too much for me yet. Bike looked nice though. It has been sitting there for awhile and I will check back in a few weeks and low ball him. It is already a year old bike and his typical custom harley customer is not going to by a chinese honda.

Allen

Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #4

i bought my am. lifan in feb. it was also manufactured 4 of 06 asking price was $1975. so $1500 is not a bad deal. that 1975 was plus tax and tittle . my dealer said 1800 for the bike 175 assembly. i had a trade in and said just give me out the door price so im not real sure as to how much of a break i got .

Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #5

I don't consider it bad since it is "fully" assembled with tax, but I am going to get the best price I can if he truly wants to move it. I am not in a hurry, but this model seems to be on of the better ones with all the bells and whistles a china bike gets. Considering that most of the ship them to your door sellers are at about $1400 on these. I don't think the seller will stand behind it much as he didn't mention any warranty. Not that I expect much support from a harley shop.

Allen

Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #6

I'd jump on it, B&M dealer, no assembly, no internet dealer headaches and you can probably have the dealer register it for you...
Notyet, welcome, read through the forums and you will see this is a good price...

Old 05-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #7

Sounds like a good deal, The bike is also assembled by a pro and not some guy who has no clue...That's a plus.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #8

Yeah I think that sounds like a good deal, in canada a lf200 is about 2500 + tax (from a dealer)

Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #9

Ok I got permission from the boss with some stipulations to go ahead on the Lifan. I have to liquidate my 5 other bikes that don't run so I can have one running bike.

I think I may go ahead and purchase it after I confirm that the seller is an authorized dealer and that I can for sure get the tag. It is of no use to me if I can't use it for my commute.

Thanks for the price confirmation. I don't want to pay too much for a grew market bike when I can get an official american lifan with a warranty. I am not afraid of doing some work on it. I have been wrenching on my japan bikes too much.

The only problem is it is red and my jacket is yellow.

Allen

Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
At least it's not red & pink! LOL

Old 05-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #11

Okay. I went ahead with the GY-2 from the local shop for $1272 after tax. He claims he didn't make any money on it, but I wonder about that. Still I think I did alright with it.

The bike has some fading on the "gold parts" and reflectors. It also has the OHV engine and not the OHC, but he had the MSO ready and they are getting it prepped for me to pick up tomorrow.

He says he is an authorized Lifan dealer and can get parts easily. I can give the shop info if someone is interested. I took some pictures that I will post later.

Allen

Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #12

Hi katoranger

Welcome to ChinaRiders!!
If you knew what he paid for the bike, plus shipping to his shop, assembly/prep/PDI he didn't make a dime off of the sale. Remember, he paid someone to do the PDI/prep & assemble that vehicle.
What most people don't see is We Dealers pay for these new vehicles up front, they are not given on consignment. They most likely are on a Floor Plan, which is a loan for a dealer to floor vehicles they sell. We pay interest on the vehicles to the loan co. till they sell and the more interest we pay on each vehicle...the more we loose on each sale.
This is why/where a Drop-Shipper makes his money. They 90% of the time never see the vehicles that they sell, they are shipped from a distributor's warehouse and the distributor has the cost in buying the vehicles from wherever they purchase them from.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #13

I can see that. He probably didn't make much or anything, but I couldn't see paying the sticker on the bike when a newer version could be have an this one has been sitting outside for 6 months too.

I was wondering how alot of the dealers were able to purchase inventory. He makes his money selling harley parts and it doesn't appear that he plans to buy any more of these. He didn't prep much since it didn't even come with oil in it. The fuel line is kinked and has tear. Clutch lever is bent. Petcock appears it may be crossthreaded.

The speedometer cable already has a crack in the housing and was loose on the hub end.

I am going to see if I can get the clutch lever replaced, but the fuel line is so cheap that an upgrade is in order there and a filter installed too.

The rest of the bike appears fine. I haven't had time for a thorough inspection and I hope to start the prep work tomorrow.

Thanks, for the insight on the dealer process. If it was the gy-5 I would happily plunk down the $1500.

Now that I have my bike I will be posting alot more. I need to post up my pictures.

Allen