Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2022, 06:50 PM   #1

I pulled the trigger on a Bashan Storm, now what?

What do I need to buy/replace/upgrade right out the gate? I’d rather do it from the start than wait. I’m interested in clusters, not seeing much for plug and play? I play with wires a lot in my day job so it wouldn’t be a huge issue, but I like to keep it simple when I can. I’ve ordered new plugs, oil, plan to adjust valves, loctite everything, what am I missing?
Also does anybody know where to find some assembly videos? YouTube hasn’t yielded much for me. I found a thorough one for a Bashan Brozz but imagine there’s some differences. I can struggle through it like everyone else, but a real detailed walk through would be sweet.
Thanks for everything guys! This forum has been instrumental in my quest to ride again, and saved me a ton over the used Japanese bikes I was looking at. You guys are awesome.

Also big shout out to Thumper on here for recommending the storm over tbr7’s, and bigger shout to Steve Nelson at Nelson Powersports in WA. He and his son own a couple dealerships near-ish me, but were willing to save me a ton over further shippers even including tax. They’d never drop shipped before, only sold from their brick and mortar so making an exception for me was dope. Super cool dudes, been a fast super pleasant experience thus far. Highly recommend

Old 07-16-2022, 08:37 PM   #2

The original dash (cluster?) is fine. If you want to replace after you get it all assembled (or before), OK. I would concentrate on assembly first. And leave one crate alone if you don't have room to completely separate them (keep parts separate). I know you are expecting a quad in the shipment

Get tubes of blue and red loctite now. You will need them. YES... the Brozz video will cover the main steps. Good place to start.

You will need to remove it all from the crate. Having a friend or son to help disassemble the crate and carefully get the front end bolted on are the first steps.

Save the bigass twisties used in crate packing, they will be useful here and there holding off wires and such.

If you do not have a motorcycle lift, you will need help holding things while you assemble (such as kickstand, or holding the forks up while you thread the front axel).

Once I got the front wheel on and kick stand (I didn't have a lift at the time), I just went through things one by one. Remove if necessary, reassemble with a drop of loctite, etc.

I laid out the parts, figured out the more obvious things (set aside if not needed right away) and matched up numbers of different sizes of bolts and need for rubber or metal washers, and bushings that fit or made sense based on the basis of parts needed to be installed.

Getting all of the wires and cables properly routed when you clamp the handlebars in place takes some patience and time if you want them all routed ideally. No big deal. Just move things around until they fit. There is a convenient tab welded on the front of the steering stem which I used to pin the bigass twisty that I wrapped on the wiring after getting it all connected. This is important, because otherwise, the wires will flop around on bumps. Chafing wires can cause grounding problems!

Once you have it basically together, there are lots of details to attend. If you have the turn signal beep, motocheez has instructions on youtube for clipping the wire to the beeper inside the turn signal switch (pretty simple).

From then on, it is all about adjustment and tuning, such as rejetting pilot and main (I can send you the pilot... it is a two part jet and I have spares). I have posts here on the jetting. I might have a main jet that works for you (altitude?). The YouAll carb that came on my Storm has been completely dependable, and easy to work on.

Some folks here just buy a new carburetor, but the carb mine came with is great (once jetted!). And besides, you will have to rejet ANY carb you buy!

Old 07-16-2022, 09:42 PM   #3

I would also Clean the brake rotors with brake cleaner, and count the links on the chain and order a good chain to replace the stock cheap machine chain they come with. The chain that came on my old Brozz stretched badly and quickly it was hard to keep it adjusted. And check every single spoke and make sure they are tight. I think Motocheez has a video on how to tighten spokes. Congrats on your new bike. Post some pics of it when you get it. I've always liked the Storm. Oh and just so you know. There was a Woman on here some years back that rode a Storm all the way across the U.S.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The original dash (cluster?) is fine. If you want to replace after you get it all assembled (or before), OK. I would concentrate on assembly first. And leave one crate alone if you don't have room to completely separate them (keep parts separate). I know you are expecting a quad in the shipment

Get tubes of blue and red loctite now. You will need them. YES... the Brozz video will cover the main steps. Good place to start.

You will need to remove it all from the crate. Having a friend or son to help disassemble the crate and carefully get the front end bolted on are the first steps.

Save the bigass twisties used in crate packing, they will be useful here and there holding off wires and such.

If you do not have a motorcycle lift, you will need help holding things while you assemble (such as kickstand, or holding the forks up while you thread the front axel).

Once I got the front wheel on and kick stand (I didn't have a lift at the time), I just went through things one by one. Remove if necessary, reassemble with a drop of loctite, etc.

I laid out the parts, figured out the more obvious things (set aside if not needed right away) and matched up numbers of different sizes of bolts and need for rubber or metal washers, and bushings that fit or made sense based on the basis of parts needed to be installed.

Getting all of the wires and cables properly routed when you clamp the handlebars in place takes some patience and time if you want them all routed ideally. No big deal. Just move things around until they fit. There is a convenient tab welded on the front of the steering stem which I used to pin the bigass twisty that I wrapped on the wiring after getting it all connected. This is important, because otherwise, the wires will flop around on bumps. Chafing wires can cause grounding problems!

Once you have it basically together, there are lots of details to attend. If you have the turn signal beep, motocheez has instructions on youtube for clipping the wire to the beeper inside the turn signal switch (pretty simple).

From then on, it is all about adjustment and tuning, such as rejetting pilot and main (I can send you the pilot... it is a two part jet and I have spares). I have posts here on the jetting. I might have a main jet that works for you (altitude?). The YouAll carb that came on my Storm has been completely dependable, and easy to work on.

Some folks here just buy a new carburetor, but the carb mine came with is great (once jetted!). And besides, you will have to rejet ANY carb you buy!

Thanks again man! I will read back to this this as I assemble, and I greatly appreciate the jet offer! I’ll definitely take you up on that. My elevation is approx 525-600ft unless I’m way up in the mountains here. I forgot all about the beeper delete, but am sifting through motocheez now.
My tentative plan is to assemble them both in my living room lol, I’m in the process of building my own garage and it isn’t ready for this kind of project. I pray my wife can help do some light lifting, my oldest son is 9 and like 60lbs lol. I have some panduit straps and zip ties I planned to use for cable organization, I have spent days hunting shorts at work and don’t plan to at home lol.
Thanks again dude you’ve been a huge help already

Old 07-16-2022, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
I would also Clean the brake rotors with brake cleaner, and count the links on the chain and order a good chain to replace the stock cheap machine chain they come with. The chain that came on my old Brozz stretched badly and quickly it was hard to keep it adjusted. And check every single spoke and make sure they are tight. I think Motocheez has a video on how to tighten spokes. Congrats on your new bike. Post some pics of it when you get it. I've always liked the Storm. Oh and just so you know. There was a Woman on here some years back that rode a Storm all the way across the U.S.
Is there a specific brand chain you would recommend? I’d read ones with o rings are ideal? Saving so much on the bike I don’t feel bad putting some back into it to make it tip top

Old 07-17-2022, 12:48 AM   #6

Yes and Oring chain is a great chain. I've always liked D.I.D. Chains. I have gotten great service out of them. There are other great brands that make oring chains as well.