Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

RX3 chain master link?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a master link for the stock RX3 chain? swapping to a 40T rear sprocket. Preferably a clip master link. looks like its says 520 H0 on the chain but can't be sure as its a bit hard to read, thanks

Old 11-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #2

I have no answer for you....but I believe the stock rear is 44t. I wonder if the RX3 could even pull a 40t rear? I live at sea level, and cant imagine it being able to pull away from a stop sign, or even the slightest incline. It's your bike though. If you do it, please post your feedback. I learn something new every day.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #3

I tried a 42 on the rear and didn't like it. Spent most of the time looking for 5th gear to keep bike in the power band.
As far as master links my experience is not all are the same and very from brand to brand of chain. One brand may not fit another brand even though they are the same 520 size. Pins can be longer or shorter or a different diameter. Take the chain with you to mc shop. If you don't want to have to use a chain tool to assemble it , I drill the plate holes out so plate can slide over the male master link wo having to use a chain press tool. Then I don't use the O'rings on the master link. Is that sacrilege?
I don't want to fiddle with a chain tool when I'm out traveling and if chain breaks, I want to be able to patch it back together quickly wo needing a special tool to do so. Works so far. rj

Old 11-10-2016, 02:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage12 View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a master link for the stock RX3 chain? swapping to a 40T rear sprocket. Preferably a clip master link. looks like its says 520 H0 on the chain but can't be sure as its a bit hard to read, thanks
Just a silly idea off the top of my head....
How about a motorbike shop...
If yer felt like a real adventure you could even take the old
one with yer...

like I said just a silly idea....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 11-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-...20+master+link

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
the stock chain is one piece, no link

Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Actually, the stock chain has 110 'master links' but each one is riveted on. The OP is going to have to shorten the chain a bunch since he is changing over to a 40 tooth rear sprocket. The 40 is quite a bit smaller than stock so the chain is now too long. I'd rather not have a clip type master link, myself. One came loose on my Ducati and I found myself stranded in Nitro, WV on a Saturday. This on a trip to California. It's really hard to find a 525 chain and master link under those circumstances.

Peter Y.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

Thank you 2LZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Actually, the stock chain has 110 'master links' but each one is riveted on. The OP is going to have to shorten the chain a bunch since he is changing over to a 40 tooth rear sprocket. The 40 is quite a bit smaller than stock so the chain is now too long. I'd rather not have a clip type master link, myself. One came loose on my Ducati and I found myself stranded in Nitro, WV on a Saturday. This on a trip to California. It's really hard to find a 525 chain and master link under those circumstances.

Peter Y.
Thanks for that anecdote Peter. I've actually had that happen to me as well but I usually carry an extra master link with me as a spare in case.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank you 2LZ!

Thanks for that anecdote Peter. I've actually had that happen to me as well but I usually carry an extra master link with me as a spare in case.
That master has to ne the weekest link, or to loose the link keeper clip, who knowes, then your dead in the desert. Been saying I needed an extra so this reminded me and picked one up, also and a 47 tooth rear sprokets too.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #10

I'm old school and have to think of all the desert, motocross, enduro races that have been won using a master link before they put endless O-ring chains on dirt bikes. I don't ride my RX3 that hard. Remember seeing master links stored on clutch cables ready to be used?
Wise to carry a spare or two, wiser still to make sure it will fit on your chain before you need it, better yet to have it installed on your O-ring chain before you head out so you don't have to break chain rivets with a chain tool. Just saying, RJ

Old 11-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I'm old school and have to think of all the desert, motocross, enduro races that have been won using a master link before they put endless O-ring chains on dirt bikes. I don't ride my RX3 that hard. Remember seeing master links stored on clutch cables ready to be used?
RJ
And the days when your street bike, touring bike, and dirt bike were all one machine. After a cross country episode pull the saddlebags off and unlash the sleeping bag for daily street use. U-bolt the working end of a coal shovel to the frame for a bash plate, pop off the mufflers & lights, off to the dirt. Knobbies or trials tires optional over K-70's or Pirelli Universals.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #12

I've never in all my years of riding and even racing have I ever busted a master link, though I did carry a spare. Acted more like a scare crow, I guess. Not even on my GS550 drag bike I built years ago. It made me chuckle when I saw the "mighty RX3 250" had a solid chain on it.

Speaking of chains.... I FINALLY installed my new Unibear 520 non-o-ring chain on the RX3 and got it out for a burn last Friday. Beautiful and silent! Far nicer than that constant hum of the stocker you hear coming up through the fairing in front of the tank.

In case anyone's interested:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Speaking of chains.... I FINALLY installed my new Unibear 520 non-o-ring chain on the RX3 and got it out for a burn last Friday. Beautiful and silent! Far nicer than that constant hum of the stocker you hear coming up through the fairing in front of the tank.
[/url]

Why is the non O'ring chain quieter then one with O'Ring? Just wondering but agree after thinking about it, all my o'ring bikes are noisier then the ones I use to ride back in the day 70's. rj

Old 11-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Why is the non O'ring chain quieter then one with O'Ring? Just wondering but agree after thinking about it, all my o'ring bikes are noisier then the ones I use to ride back in the day 70's. rj
I don't really know if O-ring chains are quieter or louder. I've just not run o-ring chains out of habit. Haven't put much thought into it really. The only one I've had was the RX3 out of all my bikes. All my other bikes used either regular chains or belt drive.

I'm just amazed at how silent both the Unibear chains are on both the RX3 and the TT250. Seem really nice units for the $$$, so far. Time will tell, but we have about 500 miles on the TT250 chain and it has yet to need adjusting.

That constant hum from the stock RX3 chain dove me nuts. Sounded like a speedo cable that was in desperate need of lube!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #15

Guys, I cannot see how the O ring makes any difference in noise. The pins are the same diameter and so are the links. The only difference is that O ring between the side plate and the link. It will be interesting to see how long the non O ring chain lasts. The OEM chain on the RX3 is O ring. All reports say that the OEM chain does not go much beyond 5K miles. That tells me that there is a big variation in chain quality, even with the O ring. My last chain (Ducati Multistrada 1000DS) lasted 20K miles but it had constant lubrication. Even at 20K it was far from being toast, just beyond what I like. Some people run the chain until the sprockets are gone (as in non existent). I do not like that kind of excitement.

Peter Y.