Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

gio 125

Hey guys this is my first post on this site, and iv been trying to get as much info on the gio 125 dirtbike. I'm thinking of buying one with the intent of seeing how much I really enjoy going off road on a motorcycle (I have a 1983 suzuki gs450l for the street) and how much I actually go offroad with out spending a lot of money, cause I don't wana spend like $4000 on a bike and use it once, anyway my question is, how good are these bikes? And general opinion on them. I just wana ride trails, no jumps or anything crazy like that. I also have a local gio dealer in my town so I can get parts easy. Thank you for your time

Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #2

Welcome!

My son had a Gio 125 pit bike, and it was a lot of fun. I upgraded it to a 17" front and 14" rear wheel, and that required significant work. Try to find one with larger wheels to begin with.

I upgraded the swingarm bushings to Honda parts, and re-geared it a lot lower. He loved it until he outgrew it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #3

Alright thanks, is there anything I shouldd replace right away on it?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

I'm not sure what the shock bushings are like now, but they were awful. I tried to make new ones using the original tube insert and substituting heater hose for rubber. That worked for awhile, and it's a cheap fix.

You might want to measure the shock bushings before they're pounded, to see if you can find replacements. Here's some of the work I did to the bike: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...topic&t=12997]

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

alright, so whats the general quality like? is it a durable bike or am i gonna be replacing alot of parts? i do plan on taking out the stock bushings them putting the dimensions on this site for everybody to read if they need to replace them and theres are completly out of wack. thank you.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #6

I don't know if they're any different now. The frame was steel and plenty durable, the brakes were good, the engine was excellent, and the bushings sucked.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

alright, just a little update, i went down to the dealership and picked up a gio 125 (paid $677 after taxes) and, i am honestly very impressed for what i got considering what i paid for it. the place i bought it from assembled it and adjusted the carb for me, so shes running like a champ, love it so far, iv only ridden it around my house and around the block a few times and it seems like a pretty decent bike so far anyway, ill keep you guys updated on it.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #8

We're gonna need pics.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #9

alright, for a little bit of an update, sorry i havnt gotten around to getting pics. i have been riding her on the trails and in the mud though so, shes a little dirty LOL so i need to clean the air filter, anyway, the tires say to run them with 7 psi... that sounds very wrong, what should i really be running? and sorry about the pictures, iv just be busy buying my self a car (im only a teenager lol but i got my self a nice 85 fiero ) and doing school work and just riding both bikes.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #10

Glad to hear you're getting it muddy! I'd run around 15psi in the tires.

Did you get a 2M4?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #11

i did, shes silver and with the auto transmission, kinda wish it was standard but im not complaning. and alright thanks.