Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Hello Everyone!

Long time viewer on this forum, and I've learned a lot from you kind gents, so I decided to finally join up.

My china ride is a Baja Motorsports DR125. Needless to say it didn't get used very much and has sat in a storage locker for many years. I believe its an 2006 model. So not to long ago I decided to take it out and I noticed a few issues: dry rotting fuel lines, crap engine oil etc. I did the general maintenance replacing all the rubber lines, engine oil, fork oil. Ordered a UNI air filter cleaned and adjusted the carburetor properly.

Then I decided to a do a little performance modding, much of which I learned off of this website and I have to say everything I've done so far has been successful and much to my delight has improved my riding experience on the bike.

The mods:

Performance CDI
Performance Ignition Coil
FMF Slip on exhaust (long story short... I made it into a slip on )
Ported exhaust & Intake
UNI Air Filter
Messed with front and rear sprocket configuration

Pictures:

Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #2

Welcome!

I spotted a Baja mini as well; how is that running for you?

Did you change the jets in the 125 when you added the Uni and the FMF?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, nice bike!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

Thanks guys, appreciate the warm welcome.

Mini runs great its a 196cc homelite engine and from my experience those are pretty much bullet proof. I haven't done anything to it except general upkeep.

I had trouble finding replacement jets for the knock off Chinese carburetor. So I borrowed a jet milling kit from my uncle and milled the main jet out. Must of done a decent job with my milling because the coloration on the spark plug is looking normal, and the bike runs very well.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. A lot of good help here :-)

Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #6

I would be most interested to learn about a jet milling kit. I've drilled out main jets with a numbered drill bit set, but I suspect that's not what you mean.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #7

Very nice!!! Sounds like you did similar to my fmf slip fit mod.... I did it with a powercore2 2stroke fmf i picked up for $50 off advrider.com, modded it to fit my midpipe, and threw some exhaust tape as a gasket and a clamp on and called it good...LOL

Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #8

Thanks again for the welcomes.

That is a sweet bike bogieboy is that the 200cc engine? What other mods have you done?

Yeah, see I found online that a 2006 Honda crf100f has an almost identical exhaust system as my Baja. Unfortunately they didn't carry any slip on style mufflers only full systems. So I ordered one thinking it would work great, because the factory exhaust systems on the Baja and Honda matched so well.

Come to find out the header pipe is angled differently and the lip that mates against the engine block is too short so after a bunch of work bending the pipe.... I still ended up having to chop up the brand new stainless exhaust system...

Oh well.... One 1inch exhaust clamp from Napa later and I was in business with no exhaust leaks, and an awesome sounding muffler.

Weldangrind I forgot to mention that the jet milling kit is used to mill automotive style carburetors. I've used small drill bits before with success, but my uncle suggested I try using his kit.

Better picture of the 'slip on' muffler & clamp.

Couple of pictures of back when I ported the head. Man that exhaust port was extremely restrictive. I ended up removing both valves and completely ported and polished the exhaust port, where as I just enlarged the intake port, but left it a rougher finish. I noticed from factory the intake port was highly polished which I thought was strange seeing how the rougher surface will help the air and fuel mix.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #9

Haha yep mine is a 200, and i love the sound of the powercore that i put on it...you can see here how similarly we did the exhausts...LOL and this was before i rejetted it, so thats why theres lean pops like MAD....

And also, thanks for the compliments on my bike! I put a lot of time i to it since i got it, basically came a s a frame with an engine that needed a top end, and a big box of plastics...LOL pretty well rebuilt if from the ground up, and changed the colorscheme from blue/white to blue/black, still working out the kinks too, got a new front brake hose for it and a mastercylinder on its way for it so i have some front brakes...LOL

Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #10

Welcome. I have been watching for one of those minis.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #11

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. Your bike looks very good, and you have made a lot great improvements to it.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894