Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Backpack recommendations

I accidently ran over my backpack (and Primus fuel bottle) with my Ranger on Sunday. The bottle is fine but the backpack did not fare so well. I never liked it anyway. Linda bought it for me (bless her blonde heart) but it is a designer type backpack that was ill suited to riding.

What I am looking to have:

-Light weight.
-Water resistant.
-About 25 liters (mid sized).
-Reflective tape or piping.
-An areas for a water bladder.
-A large main compartment and a couple side ones. Nowadays some backpacks have so many compartments that none are large enough to stuff a riding jacket.
-A chest strap is nice.

There are a bewildering amount of backpacks out there. I'd like to spend less that $100. I looked at REI and they have backpacks up to $350!!

Places like Walmart have bookbags not off road capable backpacks. I do like the Hello Kitty style though ;-)

Something like this but this looks too small:

http://rideapart.com/2014/01/gear-pi...-20l-backpack/

Plus it looks like the main compartment is a PIA to get into.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

BTW a super nice feature would be side pockets that can accommodate my 1.5 liter Primus bottles.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Blonde heart?

You need to find a backpack that you can stuff inside the Primus bottle, so it will remain protected.

I only wear a backpack if I have to; I'd much rather use panniers and / or a trunk. The backpack I have is nothing special, but it's a tough canvas-like material that came with a luggage set. I haven't bothered buying a hydration pack, since I don't like the idea of trying to clean the inside of the bladder. I'll use either recyclable water bottles or refillable drink containers in the backpack.

Whenever I'm in search of such things, I check the local thrift shop first.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

klim makes a really nice back pack/camel back. they may be spendy but the ones my friends have are really nice.

i usually wear a camel back that has several pockets for stuff and that has a 2 litre bladder. i only fill with water! and when i get back home i throw in freezer, so never have any issues with mold or mildew. also wear my tool belt round waist.. so while i am riding tool belt rests on seat and camel back rests on tool belt, so i never really feel any weight on shoulders or back till i stand up or get off bike.. but never bothers me.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Klim makes great stuff.

Maybe an approach would be to look for a hydration pack that has storage rather than the other way around.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #6

I personally use a cheap bell camel back knockoff that stays bungeed to the tail section of my kawasaki... However much more than a few dvds and theres no room...lol and thats without the hydration pack... I just use the bike around town though so its not a big deal...

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

My YZ400F motocrosser has no subframe behind the seat attachment point. I can't put anything on the back of the bike.

I also need the backpack for commuting. Groceries, etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
My YZ400F motocrosser has no subframe behind the seat attachment point. I can't put anything on the back of the bike.

I also need the backpack for commuting. Groceries, etc.
That sounds like a challenge to me. May we see a photo of the seat attachment point?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #9

I'll come up with some pics.

There is a rack available for the WR but I think it may be a little different than my bike.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #10

http://www.solomotoparts.com/Pro-Mot...400-426-98-02/

Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #11

Not a bad price. It appears to fasten underneath the seat somewhere; any idea where?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #12

I think to the attach points of the subframe to the main frame. It's a long cantilever.

I know Roger's WR (2006) has a different seat than mine. The rear attachment points of his are about an inch wider than mine. My bike though is a 1998.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #13

Would a rear rack that is fabricated to suit your bike be a benefit? Would you use it for a JC Whitney trunk, or maybe just bungee stuff to it?

Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #14

I would love a rack.

I would use it to hold my backpack, not a top box.

The YZF is used for much harder core riding than my KLX. It gets ridden fairly hard, and for my geriatric standards, fairly fast. A top box would not last on it.

I try to resist modifying the YZ too much. I can put a desert tank on it, a more comfortable seat, a rear rack, maybe softer more D/S oriented suspension, etc. But if I did that it would no longer be the wild motocross race bike it is now, and I'd spend a lot of money and still not have a great trail bike.

The best solution for now is the KLX and the YZF for different missions.

With that said a rack would be very nice.

Ultimately I could use a KTM or a Husqvarna, or maybe a new fuel injected WR to replace both bikes, but for now having the two works fine.

I think I'd like a rack though, but it does not appear the one I linked to will quite work, although it's close.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #15

Not related, but the YZF has about 250 hours on it now and it runs perfectly and strong. Aside from routine maintenence I'd not had to repair hardly anything since I've bought it. It has only needed one valve adjusted once so far, although I have them checked regularly.

Somewhere down the road it will need a top end, but for now it's twist and shout :-)