Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

GoPro mount issues?

Anyone here have problems with a handlebar mounted GoPro? I bought a Hero 4 Silver in the USA late last year, as well as their handlebar mount. used it a couple of times back in Brazil, to familiarise myself with it, then brought it to Peru.
2 weeks ago I set off on a trip and wanted to take some video of the conditions on the Pan-American Highway. First couple of days all went well - set on quick capture I was able to turn it on and off while riding, and results, while not stunning were OK.
Third day riding I noticed it seemed to be wobbling a bit more than usual (all on tarmac, but some surfaces are suspect to say the least!), so checked to see if the screws had come loose, and ended up at 100kph with the camera in my hand!! Both lugs on the connector had sheared off! When I reached my destination I checked the camera over, and found that the perspex casing also had stress cracks near the mounting point, and was "frosted" inside - looked a little like condensation, but was dry and would not wipe away. I had never ridden in the wet, nor used the camera in the wet, so was baffled by this.
I had another connector and attached that and one day later found that one of the lugs on this had also sheared off! The camera now sits in my gadget bag.
Anyone else heard of any issues like this? I did think of attaching it to my helmet, but apart from harder to switch on and off (no remote control) I have concerns about it falling off, and also most helmet manufacturers warn of using any adhesives on them as they could damage the integrity of the structure.

Tags
gopro, peru