Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Found a Hawk but no title

So I came across a Hawk for sale but the prior owner never received a title and sold it to the current owner, sans title.

Before I decide to purchase this thing ($500, runs, 1000 miles) what steps should I take to make sure it isn't stolen and how can I go about getting a title?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

it's likely to vary from state to state. having the bills of sale from previous sales will help.

here in NC, the DMV has an enforcement section where they do a background check on the vin. you also have to purchase title insurance which insures the future buyer from any claims against the bike having been stolen. I went through this with a title to a camper. the insurance was about $100. it's based on value. under $5000 value is a flat fee.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #3

Do a search on advrider for Vermont title. It's very simple to get a transferable registration from them. Once transfered to your state, you'll get a title or whatever your state uses. Unless it's stolen, then the cops will be dispatched.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #4

Don't need to go elsewhere to learn about the Vermont option; it's right here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12368

In Canada, we have a site that all police departments can upload to, and it is considered to be an appropriate method of determining if a vehicle is stolen. Perhaps a little Google searching will turn up something similar in the U.S.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacster View Post
So I came across a Hawk for sale but the prior owner never received a title and sold it to the current owner, sans title.

Before I decide to purchase this thing ($500, runs, 1000 miles) what steps should I take to make sure it isn't stolen and how can I go about getting a title?
What state do you live in? We need to know this as each state has it's own laws. If all the paperwork you will get is a bill of sale from the current owner, it is going to be almost impossible to get it titled and registered in ANY state....ARH

Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Don't need to go elsewhere to learn about the Vermont option; it's right here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12368

In Canada, we have a site that all police departments can upload to, and it is considered to be an appropriate method of determining if a vehicle is stolen. Perhaps a little Google searching will turn up something similar in the U.S.

https://www.nicb.org/how-we-help/vincheck

Old 01-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

The bigger question is, was it ever registered/titled? Even an old registration slip with that bill of sale will make the process much easier, assuming it isn't stolen. If all is clear, then your local DMV office can easily provide you with the proper steps and paperwork. As previously mentioned, all States vary a little, but most of them tend to have a similar process. In many cases you will have to jump through a few hoops, usually starting with trying to contact the last registered owner on file via Certified Mail requesting the original copy of the title. After a certain number of days, if you follow the requirements for your state and receive no response you can then file for a Bonded Title (Insured as mentioned by SportRider).
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
What state do you live in? We need to know this as each state has it's own laws. If all the paperwork you will get is a bill of sale from the current owner, it is going to be almost impossible to get it titled and registered in ANY state....ARH
Washington State

Old 01-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacster View Post
Washington State
OK, you might try South Dakota. It's a lot closer. So a little fairy tale about having a camp, or whatever, will go over better with the law dogs until you get it registered in Wa....ARH

Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #10

WA is not likely to be much of a challenge. You can even dual sport an old dirt bike there, as long as you have a title.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
WA is not likely to be much of a challenge. You can even dual sport an old dirt bike there, as long as you have a title.
He doesn't have a title. That is his real problem...ARH

Old 01-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #12

I get that. I'm saying that WA is more bike-friendly than some other States. He'll likely need to go the Vermont route, but will probably have no issues after that.