Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #1

Boom lil duc/vader refuses to wake up in the cold

ever since the temps dropped below 40 this winter my bike has almost no juice, it turns over, starts a few times giving me a few half hearted glug glugs and dies soon after even while revving. it dosent help the battery is drained after less starts than it takes for me to get the bike running and riding. Do i need a new battery? and would changing the gas for new gas help? the gas has been in the bike for a good month and a half but i do start it weekly, on warm days it generally is nicer to me.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #2

If you have a multimeter you can test the voltage. I believe you want at least 12.4v minimum. Does the bike start with choke? Also, check your spark plug for a nice blue spark. Plethora of great videos with a simple youtube search that'll give you a good start. Spark, Air, Fuel and Compression is all a bike needs to run. Also, you might need to clean your pilot jet. Just need a screwdriver/flathead and carb cleaner .

What all have you done to remedy the situation so far?

Old 01-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyrice View Post
If you have a multimeter you can test the voltage. I believe you want at least 12.4v minimum. Does the bike start with choke? Also, check your spark plug for a nice blue spark. Plethora of great videos with a simple youtube search that'll give you a good start. Spark, Air, Fuel and Compression is all a bike needs to run. Also, you might need to clean your pilot jet. Just need a screwdriver/flathead and carb cleaner .

What all have you done to remedy the situation so far?
I use full choke when I’m trying to start the bike in the cold, it has started a few times but only on days where it was 40 or above, I haven’t done anything to remedy the problem yet

Old 01-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalcookie View Post
I use full choke when I’m trying to start the bike in the cold, it has started a few times but only on days where it was 40 or above, I haven’t done anything to remedy the problem yet
90% of the time, if your bike idles on choke, and then cuts off when the choke is off is because of a clogged pilot jet. Open up your carb and use carb cleaner on your pilot jet. Also, if you have just a stock carb, I highly recommend you upgrade to a Mikuni chinese clone.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

A 1v battery charger/tender is like 20 bucks at walmart. Could be something worth looking into.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

Harbor freight has these battery float chargers for $20.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-de...ger-62813.html
With the prolific 20% off coupons that are floating around, you can pick one up pretty cheap. They have another one for $10, but it has alligator clamps and isn't a permanent install like this one. Starting with a fully charged battery should always be the first step in troubleshooting. I have a jumper pack that I use whenever I'm troubleshooting so I can do a lot more work before I have to charge the battery back up. As mentioned previously, I would start with making sure the jets are all clear. Fuel that's a month and a half old isn't likely the culprit, even taking into account temps and ethanol fuel. Let us know how you make out.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 01-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #7

do you have any links to a carb you can bless me with?

Old 01-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalcookie View Post
do you have any links to a carb you can bless me with?
https://www.amazon.com/Carbhub-Carbu...RW2J66GAT70BP0

Old 01-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #9

I know a lot of people (myself included) had to change out the bulbs in the headlight. They were draining the battery faster than the stater was charging it. Might want to look into that as well.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
I know a lot of people (myself included) had to change out the bulbs in the headlight. They were draining the battery faster than the stater was charging it. Might want to look into that as well.
The guy from Kronik Racing and I spoke about that issue several months ago. He said Baodiao/Boom! USA fixed that issue and he tracked down all the owners of the ones he sold and sent them the fix...I cannot remember what the fix was, lol, but the author of this thread, Adrenalcookie might want to call Pete at Kronik and discuss this issue with him. 805-630-7223

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard