Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #1

Bike shut off mid right and won't start again

Hey guys so my Apollo bike has been running pretty well aside from some minor things here in there. I went out on a ride today and I got to a stop sign once I made my stop to continue going I was still slightly rolling but my bike just shut off and now it will not start. I have a full battery so it is not a battery problem there is nothing wrong with the engine as it seemed so far, it is cranking over pretty good but it just won't start. I think it could be something electrical because when I check for spark I am not seeing a spark even when I pull the plug out and have it connected to the spark plug wire and I ground it to the engine I'm still not seeing a spark so I think it is an electrical issue I just am not sure where exactly to check I have checked the fuse in the fuse is fine I switched it anyway and still nothing any thoughts?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #2

Possibly CDI...not sure how to check that, other than putting in a replacement. You didn't say which bike you are riding (you have two? Brozz and Apollo?), but if they use the same CDI you can swap them out.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Possibly CDI...not sure how to check that, other than putting in a replacement. You didn't say which bike you are riding (you have two? Brozz and Apollo?), but if they use the same CDI you can swap them out.
I have the apollo! And a bashan storm but not here with me. Definitely could be faulty CDI just so weird that its a new bike. There's ZERO spark. I'll have to check and or replace CDI and see if it works. Thanks! I'll keep you updated.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #4

Damn, sorry to hear about this cause I know what it's like to get a new bike and have problems right out of the gate. Good luck and please keep us posted because as you know I have the same bike.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alollo Dean View Post
Damn, sorry to hear about this cause I know what it's like to get a new bike and have problems right out of the gate. Good luck and please keep us posted because as you know I have the same bike.
Oh yeah for sure! Tomorrow I'll continue trouble shooting BUT so far I just see that there is no spark at all...all of a sudden it just died. I'll figure it out soon and update Yous!

Old 04-13-2020, 03:35 AM   #6

Flip kill switch to ON

That’s been done before today

Old 04-13-2020, 04:51 AM   #7

Yeah, there's a wire leading to the CDI, blue/black iirc, that when grounded will kill spark. I would double check that that's not grounded first (several things can ground it), and make sure the coil has a good ground, too. I'd also check to make sure all of the connections/grounds are tight, and while you're at it, smell your oil, and let us know what it smells like. Then, I'd look at replacing the CDI.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #8

My coil ground was all rusty. I took the coil off, I wire brushed the area where was grounded and put it back then it cranked up no problem. Seems like these apollo bike have the same coil ground being loose or rusty problem. Thanks for everyones help!

Old 04-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloChinaRider View Post
My cool ground was all rusty. I took the coil off, I wore brushed the area where was grounded and put it back then it cranked up no problem. Seems like these apollo bike have the same coil ground being loose or rusty problem. Thanks for everyones help!
I was just about to reply to your thread. I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure your bike has a DC CDI so a good ground is a must. The CDI has to have a good power source and ground to run. Any bad connections will cause firing issues. Glad you got it fixed.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I was just about to reply to your thread. I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure your bike has a DC CDI so a good ground is a must. The CDI has to have a good power source and ground to run. Any bad connections will cause firing issues. Glad you got it fixed.
Thanks for still replying! I was very frustrated BUT I remembered when I was assembling the bike I saw The coil in a funky spot and where it was bolted to do I figured I'd check there. Just to see if would get spark, I moved the coil around a little then hit the starter and I could finally see a spark from the plug so I knew that was the issue. I did the walk of shame back to my house down the road...with my lady walking with me because she was on the back hahaha!! First time I've been stranded by a china bike. But problem solved! Thanks again to everyone.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for still replying! I was very frustrated BUT I remembered when I was assembling the bike I saw The coil in a funky spot and where it was bolted to do I figured I'd check there. Just to see if would get spark, I moved the coil around a little then hit the starter and I could finally see a spark from the plug so I knew that was the issue. I did the walk of shame back to my house down the road...with my lady walking with me because she was on the back hahaha!! First time I've been stranded by a china bike. But problem solved! Thanks again to everyone.
Just think of it as a learning experience. You'll know what to look for if it happens again.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #12

Corroded ground on a new bike ?

Can you shmear some dielectric grease over the connection ?

Old 04-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Corroded ground on a new bike ?

Can you shmear some dielectric grease over the connection ?
I wouldn't really say corroded but there was a slight rust around where the coil was bolted on I know on a video I saw on YouTube a guy's Apollo had the same thing happen his coil was slightly loose and where it was bolted was rough not really rusty but just needed to be sanded down a bit to get a proper connection. I am not sure if I can put grease I probably should try but I already tightened everything back up and put things back together if this happens again I definitely will try that thanks!

Old 04-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
My coil ground was all rusty. I took the coil off, I wire brushed the area where was grounded and put it back then it cranked up no problem. Seems like these apollo bike have the same coil ground being loose or rusty problem. Thanks for everyones help!
Sounds like you owe me a beer!

Old 04-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Sounds like you owe me a beer!
Or 3