Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #1

Apollo db36/250x issues from using electric start

So the other day I use my electric starter I started it up and I was adjusting the idol it died before I could Adjust it so I went to start it again with electric starter it turned a little over and then made a pop sound I instantly stopped and tried the kicker it was like was almost missing teeth it would catch but not and there was a spot in the motor that it would get hard to kick and make a clunk sound In the engine it resets by putting in gear and moving the tire does anybody have any clue of what it could be I'm thinking a chipped gear on the kickstarter shaft or possibly the one way clutch For the electric start well maintain low hours maybe 15 to 20 I change oil every 3 hours I took off the starter cover and checked the gears those were fine I just want to get some input before I dig into the engine I looked everywhere on this form couldn't find anything I tried online too I might be searching the wrong term any help would be appreciated thank you guys

Old 08-19-2021, 10:17 PM   #2

Not being able to hear what it is doing, and going off of your describing it, plus not familiar with that bike Yeah i have an apollo 250 but not sure if the setup and engine are the same as what I have ~~~~ I would investigate a few possibilities.
A. Timing, maybe a bad tensioner and it jumped a tooth or two on the cam or timing chain causing interference between piston and valve.
B. Broken or bent valve or rocker arm.

What I would do, remove the spark plug so you have no compression and roll it over with the engine cover on the driver side(left side as you sit on it) removed. Once the cover is removed put a socket on the crank and find the resistance and then investigate further.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:22 AM   #3

It was a pop sound like something gave way and today I drain oil and found some Ferris metal. Pistons and valves are good took clutch cover off all clean in there. motor popped starting with electric starter I stopped then tried kicking with hand with no plug found it would slip like it was not connected then start turning over followed a clank a pop clank sound as I pushed down on kick starter if you put in gear and move tire it resets this and run and goes through gears fine I'm mechanically inclined and have been working on bikes enuff to know somethings not right. On the fb group I made a post. A guy said he remembers someone having same issues and putting it into 3rd or 4th and moving tire resets it tuning over motor from wheel anyway I'm trying to do a bit of research before I split the bottom end timing chain tension is good timing is correct compression good and no pops or clank after it gets reset

Last edited by Motoman36; 08-20-2021 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Found out how to upload pics

Old 08-20-2021, 02:30 AM   #4

Here some pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210808_194614_compress33.jpg (145.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20210819_201443_compress34.jpg (152.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20210819_212740_compress89.jpg (154.8 KB, 166 views)

Old 08-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #5

Ok never had the same issue so cant advise exactly what is wrong. possibly as you said could be something on the starter engagement. Maybe it would be worth removing the electric start and see if you still have the binding, popping with the kicker. Interested to see what you find in the diagnosis. I hope its not too difficult to get fixed. Good luck

Old 08-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #6

Doh! Found issue!

After Removing the clutch cover and finding nothing nothing I moved on to the stater cover opened it up couldn't find nothing was getting ready to put everything back together and mind you I bought an inspection camera to check inside everywhere I could look couldn't find any chip gears nothing brohere's nothing broken was putting on the state recovered I heard a clink I pulled the stater cover back on and the crushed up washer was sitting inside the flywheel I pulled it out And said that's the washer for the starter reduced her years a few months ago I took that off and I must have not seen that the washer fell inside the motor and it took that electric start to bring it out Which explains the popping sound and the tough spot it was going through the gears the washer is very thin point .5 mm This was completely my fault guys I'm buttoned backup today I'm gonna put oil in Run it up to operating temperature and then change the oil one more time then I'll leave it alone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210820_235541_compress64.jpg (151.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 20210820_235528_compress94.jpg (142.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 20210820_235544_compress13.jpg (139.7 KB, 119 views)