Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2022, 07:56 PM   #1

Your experiences

I’m autistic and I’m usually straight to the point. Most people seem to think that it’s rude so I apologize upfront if I come off that way.

I’m an experienced rider, been riding since I was big enough to touch the ground on an XR50 so approx 40 years.

I have a budget of around $3000. Doesn’t matter if I buy a bike for $2000 and have to do $1000 in upgrades or buy 1 for $3000 ready to assemble and ride.

Im going to be commuting around 70 miles a day 3-5 days a week. I’ve been looking at the fuel injected Hawk 250 and the Lifan Venom 250.

I’m wondering about longevity on both and whatever other China bike around 250cc that you’re riding.

I must be able to get 60+ mpg
Sustain 65 mph for 35 miles
And have panniers/top case for my work/cold weather gear.
Must be able to do the occasional off road excursion.
I’m not interested in street bikes or adventure bikes.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #2

Sounds like the Lifan KPX 250 would be a great fit for you. Lifan builds quality bikes and with the KPX having 20hp stock with the right gearing you should be able to hold 65mph just fine. From my experience the China bikes have been very reliable, I trust mine to take it just about anywhere within 150 miles around me. The KPX is a tall bike as you might have seen on Jerryhawk250 videos, if not then check those out. The bike is new so not a lot of information yet but Jerry is testing it out and breaking it in as we speak. Good luck with whatever you choose, plenty of good people around here to help if needed
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Sounds like the Lifan KPX 250 would be a great fit for you. Lifan builds quality bikes and with the KPX having 20hp stock with the right gearing you should be able to hold 65mph just fine. From my experience the China bikes have been very reliable, I trust mine to take it just about anywhere within 150 miles around me. The KPX is a tall bike as you might have seen on Jerryhawk250 videos, if not then check those out. The bike is new so not a lot of information yet but Jerry is testing it out and breaking it in as we speak. Good luck with whatever you choose, plenty of good people around here to help if needed
I’m only 5’6”. I’ve accepted whatever dirtbike I get that fits the bill will need to be lowered.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #4

Agreed on the KPX. Venom sells 'em for $3200. Perhaps the best dualsport China has ever made, at least on paper. We will see.

BUT you should think about how often and how much you will spend on tires, sprockets and chains. Plus oil changes and valve adjustments. Also the time and hassle of such frequent maintenance. This will more than make up for the savings in fuel mileage.

Figuring an average of 70 miles, four days a week, and changing tires and drivetrain parts every 5000 miles, you're looking at a minimum of $200 every 70 riding days, or 17 weeks. That's about 15,000 miles a year. How often will you need to change out the motor or do major repair, at that rate? The fewer cylinders, the faster motors wear out, especially air-cooled.

Any modern car should last 200K miles. FWD driveshafts, maybe 100K miles. Tires, 50K. Something tiny like the Chevy Spark will get about half the gas mileage of the bike (38 mpg hwy), last 10 times as long, and cost ridiculously less money and time to maintain. And be all-weather capable, and carry plenty of groceries and even some hardware store stuff. Not to mention heater, A/C, radio, safety, and overall comfort.

IMO, bikes make no sense for long daily long-term commutes. About 5 - 10 miles, OK.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #5

I used to commute 80 miles per day on a Vespa 200, from LaHonda California to downtown San Francisco. Did that for several years with no problems but the weather was OK, never too hot or too cold. But I agree with TominMO that in the long run an economy car will be cheaper. I was doing the commute during the 70s and 80s and since I was the service manager at a Vespa shop tires and maintenance were free.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:23 PM   #6

Thanks. I don't want to rain on people's parades, but rather to head them off from a less than wonderful experience.

I will mention also that I cold-bloodedly bought my X-pect as a hedge on the possibility that gas will get much more expensive than now, or significantly less available. A better-than-nothing alternative for grocery shopping, since my preferred store (and bank ATM) is 10 miles away. And far too hilly to practically use a bicycle. The fun of motorcycling was a very distant second place in my decision.

If worse comes to worse, and we get EMP'd back to the 19th century, then of course all bets are off.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_that_guy View Post
I’m only 5’6”. I’ve accepted whatever dirtbike I get that fits the bill will need to be lowered.
I doubt that a KPX could be lowered enough to suit you. Jerry is 5'10" and only touches on tiptoes IIRC.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
I doubt that a KPX could be lowered enough to suit you. Jerry is 5'10" and only touches on tiptoes IIRC.
I have a 97 XR250r that we lowered to 31” when lowering kits for dirt bikes didn’t exist. And while this is just a guess… I bet the progressive rate rear spring/shock for my XR will fit the KPX (or be close to fitting) and taking all the preload and a 19” wheel in the front will get me to 31” seat height.

An economy car in my budget around here is a rusted out piece crap with more issues than JayZ so I would have to have a payment. But let’s say I find one in my budget that isn’t that hot mess psycho from highschool that hid her crazy until after you got her pregnant… insurance goes up $100 a month. Registration is $180 a year as opposed to insurance for $275 year and registration of $50 a year. 30mpg as opposed to 60+. Tires are a wash. $260 for tires annually as opposed to $800 every 3 years (still cheap compared to my Jeep, $1500 every 3 years)

With gas at $5 a gallon I spend $5500 a year on gas in my Jeep. 350 miles a week on a bike I would spend about $1500. At that kind of savings I could replace the bike every year and still come out ahead. While you are correct that an air cooled single wears out fast… it will still last a year and they are simple and quick to rebuild even replacing the chain/sprockets 2 times a year and tires every 9 months… I’m still thousands ahead annually. For the last 10 years I daily drive my V65 Magna except days when the roads were solid sheets of ice (including days when it was sub zero). I had to say goodbye to it because it had 200,000 miles on it and I couldn’t get parts to rebuild it anymore.

I weighed the option of an economy car and we just couldn’t find one worth the money.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:59 AM   #9

I've posted several times about lowering my new RX4 so I can sit on the bike and have both feet flat on the ground....that is a safety issue that no one wants to talk about they would rather learn how to handle a too tall bike than fix it, it seems
depending on the way the bike is setup there is always a way to lower the bike.
if the rear shock is directly mounted to the rear swing arm then a shorter shock or different mounting holes are in order..... the front on almost all bikes can be lowered in the front by raising the fork tubes in the tripple trees, on my RX4, I had to move the handle bars in order to pull that off as they were in the way ....but I did get the front and rear lowered by 2" I had to make a new lower link for the bike though, it's SHORT stroke shock really threw a monkey wrench into my usual plans LOL
Riding a bike to work and back every day can be a P.I.T.A ! been there done that for decades and although I saved alot on gasoline at the gas pump by doing that riding in the rain hail and snow is no fun at all.... not to mention the critters that jump out in front of you....
if it were me I'd buy a used Honda Civic ! LOL

Bob.....

Old 07-04-2022, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
I have a 97 XR250r that we lowered to 31” when lowering kits for dirt bikes didn’t exist. And while this is just a guess… I bet the progressive rate rear spring/shock for my XR will fit the KPX (or be close to fitting) and taking all the preload and a 19” wheel in the front will get me to 31” seat height.

An economy car in my budget around here is a rusted out piece crap with more issues than JayZ so I would have to have a payment. But let’s say I find one in my budget that isn’t that hot mess psycho from highschool that hid her crazy until after you got her pregnant… insurance goes up $100 a month. Registration is $180 a year as opposed to insurance for $275 year and registration of $50 a year. 30mpg as opposed to 60+. Tires are a wash. $260 for tires annually as opposed to $800 every 3 years (still cheap compared to my Jeep, $1500 every 3 years)

With gas at $5 a gallon I spend $5500 a year on gas in my Jeep. 350 miles a week on a bike I would spend about $1500. At that kind of savings I could replace the bike every year and still come out ahead. While you are correct that an air cooled single wears out fast… it will still last a year and they are simple and quick to rebuild even replacing the chain/sprockets 2 times a year and tires every 9 months… I’m still thousands ahead annually. For the last 10 years I daily drive my V65 Magna except days when the roads were solid sheets of ice (including days when it was sub zero). I had to say goodbye to it because it had 200,000 miles on it and I couldn’t get parts to rebuild it anymore.

I weighed the option of an economy car and we just couldn’t find one worth the money.
You are making some good points here. While I still wouldn't do it, it may be OK for you, since you seem to be going into this with eyes wide open and have skills. Still, a shaft drive like the Magna would be better of course, which means a used Japanese bike. But you specifically want a dualsport. What about a street bike for now, and buy a dedicated offroad Chinese bike later? There are 200 - 250cc Chinese street bikes that should do the job, like the Lifan KP200/KPR200. But 35 miles on the hwy each way will be a bit tiring on a lighter bike compared to the Magna.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
Riding a bike to work and back every day can be a P.I.T.A ! been there done that for decades and although I saved alot on gasoline at the gas pump by doing that riding in the rain hail and snow is no fun at all.... not to mention the critters that jump out in front of you....
if it were me I'd buy a used Honda Civic ! LOL

Bob.....
I’m never buying a used car to use as a daily driver ever again. I’ve been burned on every used car…. On this same note… I will also never buy a new Jeep anything….

I initially wanted the RX4 but it’s out of my budget and since I have a payment on my bus and until my ex-wife pays off her car it still shows on my credit report I couldn’t get financing on it.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
You are making some good points here. While I still wouldn't do it, it may be OK for you, since you seem to be going into this with eyes wide open and have skills. Still, a shaft drive like the Magna would be better of course, which means a used Japanese bike. But you specifically want a dualsport. What about a street bike for now, and buy a dedicated offroad Chinese bike later? There are 200 - 250cc Chinese street bikes that should do the job, like the Lifan KP200/KPR200. But 35 miles on the hwy each way will be a bit tiring on a lighter bike compared to the Magna.

I don’t really care for the riding and sitting position on crotch rockets and naked bikes…. And in the winter it goes from azure skies to snowing without warning. I can handle a dirtbike in the snow but street bikes with street tires are too unpredictable… I mean I can do it, I did it on the Magna for years. And another shaft bike like my Magna had its own issues in bad weather. If you’re not careful that shaft will twist the bike right out from under you and at 250 pounds heavier… it’s difficult to pick back up and it’s easier for me to hitchhike to the moon than it is to get parts for a V65…. Otherwise I would love to have another one. I just thought of another issue the V65… it was eventually going to cost me my license because 140mph pulls on backroads was a regular thing.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:17 AM   #13

doing that kind of mileage every trip, I'd go for something a bit bigger. you're asking a lot from these little motors to do 65 mph for long periods of time and do it day after day.

I did a quick check on craigslist near me. there are a number of bikes in the 3000 range, but several, surprisingly are bigger cruisers. I did see a 500 suzuki. it would certainly be capable of the highway speeds. it's not off-road ready, for sure. if you put some ADV tires on it for better weather handling, it may suit your needs for the snow situations.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #14

In my opinion I think the KPX 250 would be a good reliable commuter and is backed by a 2 year warranty. I don't think any of these other China bikes protect you past 90 days. But as others mention it is a tall bike. At 5'10" and a 32" inseam, I can not flat foot it. But I have no problem with that. I haven't messed with the pre-load on the shock yet but you might be able t take some of the preload off and get more sag. I did verify this weekend that it is capable of 76 mph GPS and haven't even broke in the engine yet. It's a true 250cc EFI engine with 20hp and a 6 speed transmission. You could even drop three teeth on the rear sprocket to get rpms down if you planning on doing mostly street riding. I would feel comfortable cruising at 65 mph. The bike is very stable at higher speeds compared to my Hawk which gets a little sketchy past 65 mph. There's no need to worry about doing all kinds of mods to get it reliable.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
I just thought of another issue the V65… it was eventually going to cost me my license because 140mph pulls on backroads was a regular thing.
Entirely the fault of the bike. Shame on it for being able to do that.....