Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

HAWK Bolts or Parts??????

Hey, back with some more HAWK questions.

So before I had posted about an oil leak i was having with my HAWK and i had found the source and got it slightly more controlled

( http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...972#post222972 )

Well anyways, when i was battling this issue trying to find out where the hell the oil was coming from i was taking the face plate that covers the front sprocket on & off constantly while trying to fix the leak. well after doing this for about a week, the bottom bolt (there are 2 bolts) broke off when i was tightening it! I had just started to torque the bolt and after, like, 2 pumps it just SNAPPED! so luckily, enough of it was still poking out to i could easily get the broken piece out. But I now have no bolt on the bottom of the plate & it hangs a little weird and sometimes my shift lever hits it & it just annoying. So does anyone know where i could get a replacement bolt or a common place that would sell me a bolt similar? i check some hardware store like HOME DEPOT or LOWES but i couldnt find anything like it. Its about 2in long and a size 8mm : 5/16

I Have Photos:

Name:  B1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  B2.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  B3.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  92.1 KB

Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #2

Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, Farm/Tractor Stores, Fastinal, to name a few... just take the bolt/nut (or what's left of it) down to those stores, I can usually find a 'similar length' higher quality bolt/nut for any project at those type stores

Other than that, go back to the 'dealer'

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
Hey, back with some more HAWK questions.

So before I had posted about an oil leak i was having with my HAWK and i had found the source and got it slightly more controlled

( http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...972#post222972 )

Well anyways, when i was battling this issue trying to find out where the hell the oil was coming from i was taking the face plate that covers the front sprocket on & off constantly while trying to fix the leak. well after doing this for about a week, the bottom bolt (there are 2 bolts) broke off when i was tightening it! I had just started to torque the bolt and after, like, 2 pumps it just SNAPPED! so luckily, enough of it was still poking out to i could easily get the broken piece out. But I now have no bolt on the bottom of the plate & it hangs a little weird and sometimes my shift lever hits it & it just annoying. So does anyone know where i could get a replacement bolt or a common place that would sell me a bolt similar? i check some hardware store like HOME DEPOT or LOWES but i couldnt find anything like it. Its about 2in long and a size 8mm : 5/16

I Have Photos:

Attachment 6681

Attachment 6682

Attachment 6683
There are allen screws available to replace that/those bolts. Allen screws are easier to get off and on and are tougher than the bolts that came on the bike. They come in regular or shouldered. Take the broken bolt with you to see if you need the shouldered one.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #4

ACE Hardware

/

Old 07-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #5

Thumbs Up

or jap moto dealers and specialty fastener stores serving truck/auto etc industry.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #6

I bought a random bolt assortment on amazon a few years ago. I have used it to replace a few on the Hawk already.

The other thing I did was save the bolts they used on the crate for shipping. They are the same threading as some of the bigger Hawk bolts. I used them for the rear caliper bolts that fell off.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Many of the chineese bikes have screws and bolts made by the same company that makes "I can't Beleive it's not butter" , they are generally too soft and honestly pretty crappy .Its good practice to replace the bolts you can with quality pieces from a fastener supplier ,a jap motorcycle dealer ,or even purchase a universal motorcycle fastener kit from places that sell parts unlimited ,parts canada products .When I strip a bike that is junk ,I remove and keep every fastener I can and keep them in a pail for later use

Old 07-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #8

Those bolts are M6, correct length i forgot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
...they are generally too soft and honestly pretty crappy...
It's 100% bike maker's fault. Fastener(s) had it's own national standard BUT they ALWAYS fit the lowest 4.* grade

Old 07-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
ACE Hardware

/
I was in a huge new ace hardware in Rockport tx (looked like they took over the old walmart) the other day and was amazed at the metric selection.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #10

I go to a local bearing shop that carries a ton of different fasteners. I stocked up on stainless Metric socket head cap screws. They are ideal for China bikes. It's nice to be able to carry only a few allen wrenches to deal with most anything on the bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ss View Post
I bought a random bolt assortment on amazon a few years ago. I have used it to replace a few on the Hawk already.

The other thing I did was save the bolts they used on the crate for shipping. They are the same threading as some of the bigger Hawk bolts. I used them for the rear caliper bolts that fell off.

i did the same thing too, i kept all the bolts and even some decent pieces of metal that were on that metal frame

Old 07-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

Thanks guys, you all reminded me of some hardware stores that i had forgot even existed still, and even reminded me that my local Tractor Supply (right up the street from where i live) sold bolts.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I was in a huge new ace hardware in Rockport tx (looked like they took over the old walmart) the other day and was amazed at the metric selection.

They also carry a very nice selection of 'springs'. If you break or lose a spring you can find something that will work at ACE. Very important for China bikes.

/

Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
.......the bottom bolt (there are 2 bolts) broke off when i was tightening it! I had just started to torque the bolt and after, like, 2 pumps it just SNAPPED! so luckily, enough of it was still poking out to i could easily get the broken piece out.
I feel your pain I do! That bolt is small and merely holding on a cover for the chain. Very low torque required! It's really only a one hand firm twist, no more. about what one could reasonably put on it with an allen wrench...as weld suggested.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
They also carry a very nice selection of 'springs'. If you break or lose a spring you can find something that will work at ACE. Very important for China bikes.

/
Crap, you mentioned Springs. I just threw one away from a idler pulley today. What was I thinking ! Might have been good for my stand
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~