Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Should I add some decals to the Clarke fuel tank, or keep things as they are?
I prefer the Clarke fuel tank as it is. 4 26.67%
I think the Clarke fuel tank needs some added color. 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #1

YamaZong XT200GY-2 Fuel Tank Decals

After a season of experimentation, I have completed all the functional modifications to my YamaZong XT200GY-2 motorcycle, and I am very pleased with the results. However, I am considering a final, cosmetic change to my Zong. To add a little color, and to better define the Clarke fuel tank, I am considering adding some orange decals to my bike. I enjoy hearing your opinions; therefore, I have created this poll. Should I leave things as they are, or add a little color to the Clarke fuel tank?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-19-2009, 03:28 AM   #2

Spud, I purchased decent quality 3M vinyl decals for my XR, and they didn't work out well. Even though the decals were perforated, the gases that permeated the tank caused the decals to bubble and peel. They came loose and flew off while the bike was on the trailer on the highway.

I'd recommend colour in other areas.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Spud, I purchased decent quality 3M vinyl decals for my XR, and they didn't work out well. Even though the decals were perforated, the gases that permeated the tank caused the decals to bubble and peel. They came loose and flew off while the bike was on the trailer on the highway.

Thank you for the good information, WG. I think the Zong looks pretty nice right now, so I certainly don't want to screw things up!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #4

I think it looks great as it is, simple clean lines. Where did you get the trunk for it? Looks awesome!

Regards,
Stew

Old 12-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #5

YOU MAY CONSIDER OOKING FOR SOME AFTERMARKET YAMAHA YZ STICKERS YOU MAY EVEN FIND THEM IN ORANGE. I HAVE ONLY SEEN THEM IN WHITE AND RED THOUGH YOU NEVER KNOW.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
I think it looks great as it is, simple clean lines. Where did you get the trunk for it? Looks awesome!

Regards,
Stew
Thank you, Stew. The J.C. Whitney travel trunk is an excellent value; you can read more about it in the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=6743

I've read reports that the $47.99 deal no longer works, which is too bad. :( However, if you are patient, they frequently place this item on sale.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
YOU MAY CONSIDER OOKING FOR SOME AFTERMARKET YAMAHA YZ STICKERS YOU MAY EVEN FIND THEM IN ORANGE. I HAVE ONLY SEEN THEM IN WHITE AND RED THOUGH YOU NEVER KNOW.
Thank you for the tip. How is your Zong running, and many miles have you put on it?

P.S. I like your signature.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #8

I say add decals! My KTM decals cost all of $7 delivered from eBay and they come in all colors. if you change your mind pull them off and you're out only $7. Have fun!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #9

Doc, were your decals applied to the tank or the plastic shroud?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

I have been doing some more research. It seems even the motorcycle manufacturers have not figured out a way to prevent gas fumes from destroying decals! 8O

Based upon all the good advice I received while I considered purchasing the Clarke fuel tank, I did not plan to either paint, or add decals to it. My good friend Andy suggested a few orange decals would look good on the Clarke fuel tank, and I agree with him. However, the Clarke fuel tank also looks very good as it is, and I am sure it looks better now than it would with peeling, discolored decals.

Once again, thank you for sharing you knowledge, WG. I always enjoy learning from the experience of others.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I say add decals! My KTM decals cost all of $7 delivered from eBay and they come in all colors. if you change your mind pull them off and you're out only $7. Have fun!
I think your decals look great, Doc! In fact, I remembered your recent post when my good friend Andy suggested adding a little color to the Clarke fuel tank.

However, your stock Zong has a metal fuel tank, and your decals are mounted on the Zong's ABS fuel tank shroud. I believe motorcycle manufacturers no longer apply decals directly to plastic fuel tanks. It seems no one has figured out a way stop the fuel vapors from destroying the decals. :(

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #12

Great pics, Spud, glad you got out for a ride in some semi-decent weather!

FWIW my XR Honda had a Clarke fuel tank and I applied Factory Effects Decals and they held up fine for many years and tens of thousands of miles. They faded in the Kalifornia sunshine but otherwise held up great until I eventually sold the bike. They were not cheap, IIRC many years ago they were in the $50 range. If you want something to hold up on a Clarke tank I'd look there.

Or try the $7 ones. What do you have to lose if they don't stick? No biggie.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Great pics, Spud, glad you got out for a ride in some semi-decent weather! …
Amen!
Quote:
…FWIW my XR Honda had a Clarke fuel tank and I applied Factory Effects Decals and they held up fine for many years and tens of thousands of miles. They faded in the Kalifornia sunshine but otherwise held up great until I eventually sold the bike. They were not cheap, IIRC many years ago they were in the $50 range. If you want something to hold up on a Clarke tank I'd look there…
Thanks for the good tip, Doc. I appreciate you sharing your good experience with this product. I did a little research, and I visited the Factory Effex website. These guys have a very good reputation.

http://factoryeffex.com/shop-online-...ategory_id=148

Quote:
…Or try the $7 ones. What do you have to lose if they don't stick? No biggie.
As usual, you make a very good point, Doc. If I don’t spend too much, and the decals don’t leave behind a messy residue, I don’t have much to lose by experimenting.

As you can see, I only wish to add some orange striping to the front of the fuel tank, to lend it some definition. Do you think orange electrical tape might work? The electrical tape would be inexpensive, easy to apply, and should not leave behind a nasty residue. When the tape came off, it would be very easy, and inexpensive, to re-install it. However, it probably wouldn’t stick to the fuel tank very long, would it? :?:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #14

Just in case the Clarke fuel tank decals don’t work, I decided to paint my house orange, to match the Zong. :roll: However, it seems the two shades of orange are slightly different. :? Oh well, I guess it is close enough!

P.S. No, this is not actually my home. :roll: This is a photograph of a new restaurant that is being prepared to open for business!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #15

got bored tonight so decided i would switch from American lifan's forum to china riders!

had a bunch of extra time on the computer waiting for a batch of files to compress so screwed around with spuds bike in paint.net