Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #1

Zong Front and rear wheels?

Will the zong front forks be compatable with 17 inch wheels? I really want the motard look but i am unsure if the front forks are to narrow :/. I do plan to have both the front and rears relaced to the 17 in. but before I do anything I did want to find out if its possible. Any input? Im using the QLink 200SF as a reference.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #2

Re: Zong Front and rear wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguelzo89
Will the zong front forks be compatable with 17 inch wheels? I really want the motard look but i am unsure if the front forks are to narrow :/. I do plan to have both the front and rears relaced to the 17 in. but before I do anything I did want to find out if its possible. Any input? Im using the QLink 200SF as a reference.
Yes, you can certainly relace both hubs to accept 17-inch rims. However, you can also get a very nice motard look with 18-inch wheels.

I rode my Zong with two, 18-inch wheels for thousands of miles, and the bike handled very well. Also, if you choose 18-inch wheels for your supermoto, you will only need to relace the rear hub, which will save you money. You will also have a very nice selection of 18-inch tires for both front, and rear wheels.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

Thanks for your input spud! So if it can accept it, are the front forks to narrow? how wide a tire can i fit?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your input spud! So if it can accept it, are the front forks to narrow? how wide a tire can i fit?
Your're welcome, aguelzo. The Zong's forks are very wide; you could mount a very large front tire. How wide a front tire do you want?

The Zongshen swingarm is designed for a size 130/90-15 tire; therefore, you probably can't mount a rear tire much wider than 130mm, or 5.1 inches. The rear tire should always be significantly wider than the front tire, or your could adversely affect the bike's handling.

Thefore, using the stock front wheel, you could probably mount a tire as wide as 120mm, or 4.7 inches.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #5

well i did somecalling around today to local bike shops and they said they could relace the rims but they said its going to be hard to find spokes that will work? I thought any spokes would work? Is this true? Am I being beaten around a bush? When they asked what kind of bike i told them it was a Zongshen Chinese brand. They almost immediately had a change in interest. So how do i go about finding spokes for a 17in wheel and where would i get the rims?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

Sorry another post, but i did forget to add i want a front tire of 110/70-17 and a rear tire of 130/70-17. Any help is useful as of where to shop, who to watch out for ect. Thank you!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
well i did somecalling around today to local bike shops and they said they could relace the rims but they said its going to be hard to find spokes that will work? I thought any spokes would work? Is this true? Am I being beaten around a bush?...
They told you the truth. You are going to need to order custom spokes to lace your Zongshen hubs to different rims. When I build a custom wheel, I order my custom spokes from Buchanan's Spoke & Rim.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/catego...spoke_sets.asp
Quote:
...When they asked what kind of bike i told them it was a Zongshen Chinese brand. They almost immediately had a change in interest. So how do i go about finding spokes for a 17in wheel and where would i get the rims?
I'm not surprised they lost interest. First, you need to select, and purchase your rims. After you acquire the rims, you contact Buchanan's, and they will help you order the custom spokes. Then you need to find someone to lace, and true your custom wheels. If you ship your hubs to California, Buchanan's Spoke and Rim will handle the entire job for you. However, they have fairly expensive prices.

If you can't find a local shop to do the job, and you don't want to pay Buchanan's price, I will be happy to do the job for you at a reasonable price.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...&p=89810#89810

P.S. I strongly encourage you not to buy 17-inch rims for your Zong. After you do some research, you will discover the cost is very high to convert to two, 17-inch wheels. If you really must have 17-inch wheels, you would be better off selling the Zong, and buying a QLink XF200. However, two 18-inch wheels will look great on the Zong, and the cost will be reasonable.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #8

dont get into a big hurry i think the tires are practically a done deal and should be here soon final details are being worked out as i am typing this and my guess (and this is my first time i have give a date) a little over 30 days
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
dont get into a big hurry i think the tires are practically a done deal and should be here soon final details are being worked out as i am typing this and my guess (and this is my first time i have give a date) a little over 30 days
That is good news, Phil; thank you for the update! However, this gentleman is interested in lacing rims for motard wheels.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #10

spud, do you ever sleep 8O isnt that what is on them :roll: why change if your staying with street tires

Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #11

Quote:
spud, do you ever sleep 8O...

Quote:
...isnt that what is on them :roll: why change if your staying with street tires
Read the thread, Phil. This gentleman likes the appearance of the 17-inch wheels on the QLink XF200. He is wondering if he can reproduce that wheel style on his new Zong.

Speaking of sleep, why are you awake at this hour! 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #12

i understood he was using the q for a pattern i just thought there was another reason, as i really cant see a lot difference in appearance for the cost but lately my mind just cant imagine correct i guess i need a picture. and reading between the lines just not happening with me
oh, im awake not only for trouble sleeping but you do know there is a time difference between us and china, of course, but do you realise how hard it is to commutate when both have a problem with english, i just cant understand why they dont teach redneck southern hillbilly to the chinese, might be about time to sprout wings and start a learning them proper

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
i just cant understand why they dont teach redneck southern hillbilly to the chinese, might be about time to sprout wings and start a learning them proper
That's the funniest line I've heard in awhile.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
i just cant understand why they dont teach redneck southern hillbilly to the chinese, might be about time to sprout wings and start a learning them proper
That's the funniest line I've heard in awhile.
X2!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
i understood he was using the q for a pattern i just thought there was another reason, as i really cant see a lot difference in appearance for the cost but lately my mind just cant imagine correct i guess i need a picture. and reading between the lines just not happening with me
oh, im awake not only for trouble sleeping but you do know there is a time difference between us and china, of course, but do you realise how hard it is to commutate when both have a problem with english, i just cant understand why they dont teach redneck southern hillbilly to the chinese, might be about time to sprout wings and start a learning them proper
Haha... they type out english better than they speak it. I know we all like talk time but damn, I used to try to talk to the factory reps on Skype then just say, let's instant message instead..