Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #1

Stop me if you've heard this before...

08 Lifan

So I go to pick my kid up from school and on my way home my engine just up and quits. It won't start so I figure out of gas. Thow it on reserve, let the clutch out and.....NADA. I can run through all the gears no problem, but the bike goes nowhere. With the bike off and manually pulling the chain it catches in gear and will not let me pull the chain. In N I can pull and push the chain no problem. So the question before the house: Toasted clutch or something more sinister?

Daddy 8)

Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #2

What intrigues me is that the engine quit on you, and then it started on reserve. I suspect that you really were low on fuel, and then you found a second issue.

I'd start with a simple clutch adjustment. Have you tried adjusting the clutch at the lever and at the arm (or whatever means yours uses)? Do you have an intermediate adjuster as well?

The fact that the chain is easily pulled in neutral but not in gear is a good sign.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #3

So this whole clutch thing was bothering me from the get go because the chain was moving and the bike wasn't. It turns out that whatever holds the sprocket to the wheel hub has failed outright and the stress of stopping when the engine quit was just enough to shear off the last 2 pins (I think there are a total of four.)

Tomorrow or sometime in the near future I'm going to disassemble it and see what I can see! Should be a good time. I'll take & post photos because everyone LOVES pictures . As always thanks for suggestions! Have a fantastic evening / morning / afternoon!

Daddy 8)

Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #4

Ok, I get it. It sounds like the pin style that Honda used on the old XR's.

Yes, we love photos. Even of carnage.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
So this whole clutch thing was bothering me from the get go because the chain was moving and the bike wasn't. It turns out that whatever holds the sprocket to the wheel hub has failed outright and the stress of stopping when the engine quit was just enough to shear off the last 2 pins (I think there are a total of four.)
Daddy 8)
Tough luck. Thank goodness it was the sprocket carrier.
A friend at work just had the counter shaft spocket eat the splines off the shaft itself. If we can't see a work-around, it's time to crack the cases on the engine...
Check the DS sticky and search around a bit. I know we've discusssed this repair in the past.
Bill R

Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

Ya, I've been looking at pictures from different sources and it doesn't look overtly complicated to fix. Just amazing that there is that much torque applied to shear 4 pins. Those aren't small pins either lol. I'm just hoping the bearings are OK. I supposed for the $8 is would take to replace them I may as well....

Daddy 8)

Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #7

It is the constant beating they take. Every time it goes from acceleration to deceleration, it hammers them. probably evey gear shift too. But at least it is just the pins and not the hub.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #8

Upgrade to the honda pins. I sheared 3 and caught it on the last one.

Bikebandit has them. 1980 xl185.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #9

If it's the style of pin I'm visualizing, they rest in bushings that are pressed into the hub. You might choose to replace the bushings as well for better quality units.

When you take it apart, post the bushing depth, ID and OD, and I'll compare them to a hub I have. That'll get you a Honda part number.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #10

So shearing pins is not an uncommon thing? I've just never heard of it happening to anyone before lol.

Daddy 8)

Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #11

As far as I know its only Chinabikes. Once the upgrade the tofu they are made from, or reduce power output it should no longer be a problem... :?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #12

Can someone post a pic of this. I think that is what happened to mine as well. Same description. I thought it was the clutch and haven't touched the bike since.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #13

I'll post a bunch of picts as soon as I get out to the garage. Probably won't happen until this awesome weather takes a turn tho. I can't abide by wrenching on something when it is 80 out at the end of September .
Daddy 8)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #14

You are needing the stud #13 and the bushing is #3 in the diagram here.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...xl185s/o/m2988

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #15

Wow, thanks a ton for the info Kato! I haven't gotten around to tearing it apart yet, but this is really REALLY good info for everyone. They are sure proud of 'em tho. I would hope that the $11.change is for the whole set and not just one lol! And bolts for $5.change per? Wow, I'm in the wayyyyyy wrong business .

Daddy 8)