Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 AM   #1

Madass motor swap

This guy has about covered everything (including trying to sell you parts):

http://www.scootnfast.com/Madass/Motor_swap.htm

Of special note is the wiring, specifically the charging system, that is "different" from what we are used to:

http://www.scootnfast.com/Madass/Wiring.htm

Old 03-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

From what I can see, the Madass engine is much like a small dirt bike / atv engine. Are you considering one for a traditional scooter? Sounds like a tremendous amount of fab work.

That's not a bad thing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Phew. Just what I've been looking for.

I am determined to get this Madass moving. I will be asking some wiring questions shortly as spring break starts at the end of this week. Hopefully the pros here can help.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #4

Very fun website and well done tutorial. That guy would fit right in here!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I am determined to get this Madass moving. I will be asking some wiring questions shortly as spring break starts at the end of this week. Hopefully the pros here can help.
Not really a "big thing", unless you make it one..... the Madass uses a DC ignition system, along with a bunch of accessories (turn signals and the like), the "usual" for a horizontal clone engine is an AC ignition system, with a relatively low output charging system (if any).
So, the solution is to swap the stator (the wiring bit behind the flywheel). They are even linked to the one you need (I *think* it was $69, probably worth $30, but they did the homework, and it saves you possibly buying wrongly, once, or twice). OR: do away with all the crap (turn signals and the like).

Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #6

Per Reveeen's earlier guidance, it's wise to obtain the title before pumping too much money in. Do you have the title now?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

I no longer wish to pursue street-legalizing this bike. I have asked the DMV numerous times for assistance with the title situation, and they are reluctant to help. My goal now is to have a strictly off-road Madass, simply for the sake of getting it moving. Anything is better than having it sit.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #8

That sucks. :x

Have you tried researching the matter online? Perhaps there is a workaround. In my Province, there is a provision for replacing a damaged VIN number. If you have no VIN number and the engine is not original, you can apply for a replacement. I think the process requires you to have it inspected, and the inspector is responsible for applying the new VIN to the steering neck.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #9

Legalizing should not be a "big" problem.
Take the frame and bill of sale to the local police station and get a search done AND a release.
Go before a Justice of the Peace, and swear "rightful possession", getting that document.
Take ALL documents to the DMV (the police release, the "hammered" JP statement, and your bill of sale) and they should be more than happy to take your money, it may take a supervisor to do it, and it may require a state inspection, but it should "go".

A word of warning: at any point, if determined "stolen", it WILL be seized, and you may be charged (if you do not have a "proper" bill of sale eg: dated, serial number, sellers name and address), but at least you are trying to "do the right thing", if caught even transporting a "stolen" off road piece of equipment (in the back of a truck) the whole works (including your truck) will be seized and you WILL be charged.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #10

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...r=asc&start=30

I have already been told the bike is NOT stolen. Getting it titled is the problem, not whether or not it is stolen.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #11

"They" (being the DMV) "create" titles all the time. ALL vehicles ship with only a bill of sale and certificate of origin, a dealer uses these documents @ the DMV to get a title. There is absolutely no reason, with a police clearance, a bill of sale, and a sworn affidavit, that they can't create one for you too, OR, at the very least, instruct you on how to obtain a title (meeting any criteria they need so that they can create one for you too).

It might take a visit to your local politician's (state) office. I assume you are a "resident", who happens to pay taxes, your taxes pay these dicks salaries, make them work for you.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #12

Hey Reveen...

It looks like the Sach's Madass has hit the Maritimes...Maritime Auto Group on Mountain Rd is selling them....$3250.00...

Seems high for me but...to each there own..

Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #13

You just need to wait a couple of years until one gets a little rusty, and the price of a used one will come way down.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #14

Yes...... I saw that, and can't see them selling any, $3250 for a 125cc China bike, abet a "neat one", is pretty rich..... maybe someone's kid wanted one?

Nice looking one in TO for $1900

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ263567917

You see this kind of foolishness here all the time. As a "dealer" you can write the whole thing off (including much of the gas burnt). You can see the exact same thing at the car auction(s)...... a dealer takes his wife, and if she takes a "shine" to something, no matter how impractical, or decrepit, it becomes a bidding war (or a matter of honor), all 100% tax deductible.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #15

I rode a Sachs MadAss scoot about 3 weeks ago.It had the 180+cc conversion done and was kick start only as the replacement engine wasn't equiped.I think the original 125cc engine was replaced with a 160cc kick start dirt bike engine and then a big bore kit was done.I'm not 100% on that but they used all Lifan parts to do the conversion.It was a fast little monster for what it was.I didn't get to test top speed but I was cruising at 55mph in a 45mph zone before I realized I was going that fast.