Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 03:05 AM   #1

Gearing

Has anyone experimented with their gearing?
I have a well modified vitacci pentora raptor.
1st and 2nd pull wheelies, 3rd will get some lift off the ground without throwing body into it and 4th winds out fast enough that once she's warmed up, I go to hit the missing 5th gear all too often.
I am asking because on other forums with very experienced riders, they talked about a single tooth being a big deal.

2 teeth will let me wind out the gears more and take me to a top speed of 60mph. I'm hoping this will balance out that lack of a 5th gear and the loss in my low end will go unnoticed. Going 60mph probably wouldn't happen often, but I know it would happen lol.
I have a few more mods planned so my engine will have more power. The top speed is 45mph but after my mods, I definitely went beyond that but they removed the damn radar sign down the road from me. I know gearing dictates top speed so I think my upgrades really just ran the engine to specs.

I already suspect no matter what I find out and how I think and feel about more information, I'll end up buying 2 gears to be certain.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #2

*Update*

I did more research when I thought about tires since donuts and drifting shredded most of my rear tread, and as I suspected, the same standard is given by all the pros. Altering 1" of tire diameter alters 5mph just like a single tooth on your sprockets. These tires are 20" stock but it's virtually pointless searching for 20-s when 99% of brands only produce above or below 20.
I'll definitely be breaking 50mph for sure with the replacements sometime soon this winter, and will see no discernible loss in the low end since it's a monster wheely machine in 1st and 2nd.

Anyway, I'm hoping my threads inspire others to go balls out with their mods.
I built a plow that is all metal, looks like it was industrial manufactured and when it's finished and installed, should have only taken about 4 hours. Now that I'm older, I would never want to deal with installing one on my own vehicle. Doing stuff to the ATV is a dream! It's spring loaded so semi-automatic. 1 minute at looking at the ATV and some parts mounted in place during the design process and motorizing it would be absurdly pointless. Pull a cord, latch it, release it for up and down.

A review of engine mods:
CDI box; this improved acceleration smoothness with the same power, but the clumsy trigger rhythm out of the stock has more raw torque when you slam the throttle. I am building a coil for higher voltage pressure to both compensate and take performance further either way.
The box was a PITA until a seller sent the actual one in the photo, and it's not an impressive improvement in performance and by no means adds significant power, but it's worth it. The power band is also more spread out in the acceleration aside from the timing from the caps discharging being like clockwork.

Spark plug and plug wire; I bought the goofy 3 electrode spark plug and it made a ridiculous boost in power. The stock is that bad? I just know it was outright profound lol. Gunning the throttle had a new vicious snarl and the take off and full throttle eating gear acceleration had obvious increases. I also removed the resistor in the spark plug boot not long after this. Again, an obvious improvement in ignition and combustion efficiency to consume fuel.(research why they're used, for most of us it's suitable to eliminate them) This is around the time I knew I was hitting 50 after getting it clocked at 45 a few times.

Chopped the air intaked(the first mod); a no brainer with the pathetic hole the stock comes with. This is getting heavily upgraded soon. I will cut the box with the intake and battery in half from one another, then Frankenstein things. I will also reroute wiring, install looming and convert the intake portion into a very large storage box as previously stated.

Custom muffler with wrap; I put a large diameter low tone glass pack for a car on it and wrapped the manifold and exhaust pipe after painting the entire exhaust system with heat shielding paint. The wrap also made a drastic and blatant improvement in power. I was floored again. I also have a 14", 2" I.D. insert for running straight exhaust, but want to go one step further.
Install a turbo on the exhaust that can be bypassed while driving. Installing it on the intake for most ATV's that aren't massive would be a nightmare. It's also always on. Initially I considered a custom manifold with huge diameter from stainless stainless, but installing a turbo in the distant future on the exhaust means using a pipe diameter that supplies some precompression without causing lag. I'm sure installing a 2" header onto an engine with less than a 1" port would produce significant expansion and strangle the turbo somewhere significant in the power band.

Ultimately, I guess my goal is brutal acceleration, crazy speed and the ability to shred corners, mud, hills, sand, bodies of water etc.
I know plenty of guys on here have 4 wheelers with a more work oriented design and build. I'll add everything including a winch to match their capabilities, but I also know plenty of riders aren't looking to build hell on wheels like I am lol.