Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

Electric wizards I need you!!

Ok so the only thing getting power is the Sambo cluster and alarm. Headlight, signals, brake, electrical start and horn are all dead in the water. I tried re-plugging in every wire up front and under the seat and redid the fuse connection.

This all came and went yesterday when the bike wouldn’t on random wouldn’t button start and then next stop for a soda break it would. Today it’s not Cooperating by any means. Kickstart got me home but zero lights or signals.

What to do, I have a light pen and every wire connected to the battery is a glow. I tried my back up CDI but that didn’t help.

I blame humidity for this!

Pre thank yous on any reply’s
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 04-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

Really not enough info to help with ,but I would start at the starter solenoid connections if you are already confident the battery connections are good .

Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #3

sounds like a main connection intermittently making connection. maybe when you push on it with the pen light it makes??????
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
sounds like a main connection intermittently making connection. maybe when you push on it with the pen light it makes??????
Right it’s hit and miss, I’m wondering if one of the little black boxes under the seat has shorted out. The one with the medal medallion looking end and 2 thick battery connectors is definitely getting power in but I have no idea what it controls. Which makes me think it as a possible culprit. Whatever it is it takes everything but the alarm and cluster out.

Is there maybe a main ground that should be connected to a certain place on the bike?
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 04-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Really not enough info to help with ,but I would start at the starter solenoid connections if you are already confident the battery connections are good .
I checked the large connect wire running to the starter housing and it looks brand spanking new under the rubber grommet. It’s something shared by the entire stock electrical system. All the aftermarket parts are getting consistent full power.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #6

I also checked the only know fuse on the bike and it’s getting power at both ends.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #7

Try pressing the lightning key on your alarm 2 or more times without key in ignition
What happens? It should just turn the bike on fully but if an AC ignition system you’ll need to turn ignition on to turn off the immobilizer/kill at ignition barrel
Let me know what happens

Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Try pressing the lightning key on your alarm 2 or more times without key in ignition
What happens? It should just turn the bike on fully but if an AC ignition system you’ll need to turn ignition on to turn off the immobilizer/kill at ignition barrel
Let me know what happens
My alarm is aftermarket and doesn’t have auto start. The original alarm quit on me several months ago.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
My alarm is aftermarket and doesn’t have auto start. The original alarm quit on me several months ago.
Try it
Let me know
Auto start is something that maybe disconnected
Again it all depends how it’s wired up and this might or might not be the issue
Sounds almost like you have a black wire broken in left side switch gear
The black is ign power to all things on left switch
Also the start has a black ign wire that’s live if ign on
You should be testing those n see where the fault is
I’d say at a guess sitting here in china which isn’t an accurate diagnosis that the issue is in that wire and you have a break maybe at the point where they all meet somewhere maybe in the loom

Old 04-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #10

Another thing you can try
Orange from alarm is ignition on so drop that into the black wire at brake switch or flasher can
Black is ign on orange is the alarm turning ign on from another location
This might give a hint to the issue
If it turns on with alarm via brake switch you have a break somewhere in the loom toward the front
This might also help to just fix it short term to use the bike
Alarm can turn ign on and use the key as this might give you enough to use the bike correctly

Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
The thing with two big wires is the starter selonoid. try unplugging the alarm it is easy to do. Just unplug the connector then plug the two wirers together. Just to rule that part out.
Problem here is the bike never would never start or turn off electrically w/o the alarm connected.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #12

Every time you turn the key on/off the alarm chirps. If you turn the alarm on/off with the keychain fab it chirps. If you try to steal the bike it yells at you. Alarm is working normal just like dash cluster. Autostart doesn’t work on this EBay alarm and never did. Welcome to the ghetto ha!

Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
Problem here is the bike never would never start or turn off electrically w/o the alarm connected.
You have some serious wiring issues
Maybe even the alarm wasn’t installed correct
I suggest moving away from the keyboard n going to your bike and testing where or where not you have 12v at all black wires on your bike with ign on

Old 04-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #14

Alarm is pleasantly disconnected now.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
You have some serious wiring issues
Maybe even the alarm wasn’t installed correct
I suggest moving away from the keyboard n going to your bike and testing where or where not you have 12v at all black wires on your bike with ign on
I threw that alarm away 6 or more months ago. The power wire for the alarm is red and ground is black on the Storm. The 3rd wire what I will call a relay is black and white.

What I need to know I believe is where does the lights, electric start and signals tap in to the main power at. Power is getting to the digital dash just fine, it even knows that the headlight isn’t on since I keep it on high beam always.