Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #1

Doh! Chain

Got the 17 tooth sprocket for magician and old chain is too short and would like better quality anyway. What flippin SIZE is the thing. I'm new to chain life and there are a bewildering number of options.
TIA

Old 06-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #2

Hi, if you've never seen it, check out the sticky at the very top of this forum.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20331

About 90% of that thread applies to your Magician. However, I will help you with some basics on your chain.

Your bike came with a 428 Pitch (size), 130 Link standard roller chain riding on 15 front and 50 rear sprockets.

If you switch to a 17/45 combo (highly recommended), the 130 links will work. Only increasing the front to 17 has landed you in your current predicament. I'm assuming you've already tried moving the rear wheel all the way forward?

If you wish to run a 17/50 combo, and you've already moved the wheel all the way forward, you will probably need a 132 link chain.

If cost is a concern and you would like to upgrade your chain, I recommend searching Amazon for "Niche 428 132", or swap "132" for however many links you desire.

You will basically find standard non-oring, oring, and xring chains. The latter 2 are "sealed" and offer smoother operation, longer life, and less (not zero) maintenance. Worry not about the difference between O and X. "Gold" chains offer more corrosion resistance for even longer life.

If cost is not a concern, any of the big brands are fine. D.I.D., Renthal, Unibear, RK, Pro Taper.

I use a D.I.D. X-Ring 428 @ 126 links with 15/40 sprockets.
2018 Hawk - Nibbi PE30, Nibbi Intake, UNI Filter, Ebay Exhaust, NGK 4929 (non-Iridium), 428 D.I.D. X-Ring, 15/40 Sprockets, Walmart AGM Battery, IMS Shifter, Full LED Lighting, Digital Cluster, CSC Swingarm Pin, Modified Chain Adjusters, Upgraded Wheel Bearings

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG