Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #1

They say you can't polish a turd. I say I can.

I threw out the plastic arms that reach forward around the forks, and repainted the gas tank. I found significant rust under the plastic-attach points, and on the underside of the tank, even though this bike is less than a year old and has been stored covered. It's a 2021 TBR7-D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mudflap1.jpg (70.1 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg mudflap3.jpg (88.5 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg mudflap4.jpg (77.2 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg mudflap5.jpg (95.0 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg mudflap6.jpg (107.8 KB, 294 views)

Old 01-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #2

I like the smoothed out look and you even save a little weight by removing that stuff.

Also, it's interesting that your 2021 tbr7-d has a different gas cap and the seat looks a little different than my 2021 Tbr7.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 01-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #3

I removed the air guide flaps after discovering how large, ugly, and vestigial they were, and not needed to cool the under-tuned Zhongshen 229cc 4 cycle engine. Especially since I will never race it.

Nice work!

And of course, the mud flap girl silhouettes are excellent, will improve the performance, vastly.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #4

They are supposed to be air guides? I had no idea. That's like putting a spoiler on a Honda civic; I think it's mostly for show.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:23 PM   #5

Here’s how I knew they were air flow guides. My old 3 wheeler had them.

But what ARE these Chinese tanks made from? Very cheap steel. Mine is the same. Not even a year old and rusting.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #6

Well done. Rust never sleeps.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhanka View Post
I threw out the plastic arms that reach forward around the forks, and repainted the gas tank. I found significant rust under the plastic-attach points, and on the underside of the tank, even though this bike is less than a year old and has been stored covered. It's a 2021 TBR7-D
Well done! I hate those fake air scoops too. Just makes it harder to work on stuff.

From pics 4 and 5 I'm guessing you are a heterosexual. Or maybe a lesbian.....

I also don't like that I have to remove the side covers on my Xpect to get at the seat mounting bolts. I am thinking of holesawing some access holes in the side covers for a long socket to get in there.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 01-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Here’s how I knew they were air flow guides. My old 3 wheeler had them.

But what ARE these Chinese tanks made from? Very cheap steel. Mine is the same. Not even a year old and rusting.
NICE 250R. It reminds me of my old Quadzilla 500cc 2 stroke. I wanted to transplant the engine into a modern motocross frame!

No rust issues on that beast!

Old 01-02-2022, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
NICE 250R. It reminds me of my old Quadzilla 500cc 2 stroke. I wanted to transplant the engine into a modern motocross frame!

No rust issues on that beast!
Whoa!!!!!

You had the quadzilla??? That thing was a BEAST!!! I have never tried one of those before.

Note: that’s not an actual picture of my old 250R. It’s long gone in the depths of history

Old 01-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Whoa!!!!!

You had the quadzilla??? That thing was a BEAST!!! I have never tried one of those before.

Note: that’s not an actual picture of my old 250R. It’s long gone in the depths of history
OK, I am dating myself. I finally got a real job in the mid 80's, I was a novice quad enthusiast...my uncle let me take out his Honda TRX200. It was an excellent 4WD quad, and he had a nice ranch to explore but I thought it lacked "performance". Dropping $3200 for the LT500 was about the same as I paid for my new Suzuki GS850G shaftie ($3160) in 1979, which lasted in my hands MUCH longer than the LT500. The LT500 was insanity. I hurt myself a few times- fortunately nothing serious. I came to the conclusion that powerful engines like that are manageable in dirt bikes, not quads. But I have never been known for my restraint!! I only lost $1000 when I sold it even though I had beat it up pretty badly. The LT500 was a well-built and ridiculously overpowered quad. For reference, I had a 1976 GS550 that made 50hp, but the LT500 seemed to be more explosive than that.

As I said, I always wanted to transplant the engine into the good MX frame!

Old 01-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
OK, I am dating myself. I finally got a real job in the mid 80's, I was a novice quad enthusiast...my uncle let me take out his Honda TRX200. It was an excellent 4WD quad, and he had a nice ranch to explore but I thought it lacked "performance". Dropping $3200 for the LT500 was about the same as I paid for my new Suzuki GS850G shaftie ($3160) in 1979, which lasted in my hands MUCH longer than the LT500. The LT500 was insanity. I hurt myself a few times- fortunately nothing serious. I came to the conclusion that powerful engines like that are manageable in dirt bikes, not quads. But I have never been known for my restraint!! I only lost $1000 when I sold it even though I had beat it up pretty badly. The LT500 was a well-built and ridiculously overpowered quad. For reference, I had a 1976 GS550 that made 50hp, but the LT500 seemed to be more explosive than that.

As I said, I always wanted to transplant the engine into the good MX frame!
What I wouldn’t give for a half hour on one of these performance 3 wheelers or quads again.

A 500cc 2 stroke in an MX. wow! I think in that case, the back wheel would just spin itself into the ground. Lol maybe that’s why they put it in a quad. Because you have a couple of big wide back wheels to get some grip as it’s just insanely spinning them.

I miss the feeling that these two stroke toys with two back wheels gave. The motorcycle is fun, but it’s not the same level of fun to me. I was a fairly proficient rider on three wheelers. I never really got into the quads because I didn’t like the way they turned. I didn’t like the feeling of a double front wheel. But I do like the feeling of a double rear wheel. I spent half my childhood sliding sideways on that thing.

Good times. I wish they didn’t stop making these things.

Old 01-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
What I wouldn’t give for a half hour on one of these performance 3 wheelers or quads again.

A 500cc 2 stroke in an MX. wow! I think in that case, the back wheel would just spin itself into the ground. Lol maybe that’s why they put it in a quad. Because you have a couple of big wide back wheels to get some grip as it’s just insanely spinning them.

I miss the feeling that these two stroke toys with two back wheels gave. The motorcycle is fun, but it’s not the same level of fun to me. I was a fairly proficient rider on three wheelers. I never really got into the quads because I didn’t like the way they turned. I didn’t like the feeling of a double front wheel. But I do like the feeling of a double rear wheel. I spent half my childhood sliding sideways on that thing.

Good times. I wish they didn’t stop making these things.
It isn't over. You can actually still get big bore 2 stroke dirt bikes. No kidding.

I am focusing on 250cc 2-stroke Chinese MX. Less than $3000 Really seriously focused on this. Check it out...

Old 01-02-2022, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
It isn't over. You can actually still get big bore 2 stroke dirt bikes. No kidding.

I am focusing on 250cc 2-stroke Chinese MX. Less than $3000 Really seriously focused on this. Check it out...
That’s cool stuff, but I want the 3 wheeler. That’s what’s over.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #14

Totally agree with Boatguy, me also 3 wheeler guy.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #15

I never rode a 3 wheeler. I remember the original Honda 3 wheelers. They had a 90cc 4 stroke engine. The 2 strokes came later. Not sure is it was Yamaha or Honda that broke through with a 2 stroke, but they were already much better suspended by then, and STILL 3 wheeled.

Oh, and I am running into a brick wall on a 2-stroke chinese bike. No domestic dealers as far as I can tell. Maybe 2-stroke dirt bikes are a forbidden import now. A company called Chongqing makes the Bull 250 motocross 2-stroker. It looks great. I would sure like to get one. I miss the simple engine and nice power a 2 stroke 250 makes.

Tags
gas tank paint