Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Engine upgrade

I been thinking about upgrading my CG150 to 200cc. I would like to upgrade it to 229cc, but sadly i was not able to find any kit for the OHV variant, all the 229cc kits are for the "upgrade" CG OHC, which is actually just a CB engine and to be honest i don't fell like buying another one for just 29cc extra

For about 100 usd, i can get the
-Overbore kit

with a chinese PWK

and of course they also supply this to fit the new carb

Now for about 70 usd, i can get the same kit but with the PZ30b. The seller and most of the buyers says, that with the PWK and some fine tuning they can get 17 hp which would make it performce just like an old Honda XR200r and that with the PZ30B they do get about 15 hp.
Could this be true or worth the extra 30 bucks?

Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #2

In all honesty, I really can't tell any difference between my 163FML's and the 167FMM's. Run the same to me. the 200 should be a nice upgrade.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #3

The PWK carbs will make a bit more power because they are smooth bore and flow more CFM, which means there is more power at the top of the RPM range. The PZ30B being a venturi carb will have a much stronger feeling mid range and be a tiny bit punchier feeling down low, but will fall off up high due to the venturi. As far as them only getting 15hp, I am assuming that is at the wheel, which is not too bad considering. A PZ30's limit is realistically about 18-19hp (at the wheel) if the cylinder head can flow well enough.

I was going to make another suggestion for an upgrade, but since you are looking to do this on a budget, it wouldn't be the right kind of upgrade for you considering the end cost is about $1000+ thanks to freight costs. The Loncin RE250, which on the surface is just another counter balanced CB250 engine, but has a better counter balancer design and uses the non counter balanced mount pattern and will fit where a non balanced engine can. It also has a .8 6th gear, which would be amazing to have on these bikes, but it comes at the cost of the kick starter. That 6th gear is the real appeal for me, and I am slowly saving to eventually replace my CG engine with one when my CG wears out.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
As far as them only getting 15hp, I am assuming that is at the wheel, which is not too bad considering.

I was going to make another suggestion for an upgrade, but since you are looking to do this on a budget, it wouldn't be the right kind of upgrade for you considering the end cost is about $1000+ thanks to freight costs. The Loncin RE250, which on the surface is just another counter balanced CB250 engine, but has a better counter balancer design and uses the non counter balanced mount pattern and will fit where a non balanced engine can. It also has a .8 6th gear, which would be amazing to have on these bikes, but it comes at the cost of the kick starter. That 6th gear is the real appeal for me, and I am slowly saving to eventually replace my CG engine with one when my CG wears out.
Yes they measure it at the wheel.
About the engine upgrade, since my bike is registred as a road bike, changing the engine is a bureaucratic pain.
The RE250 is a good engine, it arrived a few years ago to my country and while not quite popular as the CG series, it's catching up.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Yes they measure it at the wheel.
About the engine upgrade, since my bike is registred as a road bike, changing the engine is a bureaucratic pain.
The RE250 is a good engine, it arrived a few years ago to my country and while not quite popular as the CG series, it's catching up.
Honestly, if I knew for sure that I could swap out the shafts, gears, shift drum and forks and make that 6th gear work on my CG, I would just order all of the parts and do so. I have no problem losing the kick starter since my bike has a DC CDI, it won't start with a dead battery anyway. I can get all of the transmission parts for a lot cheaper than a whole engine.

Having that .8 6th gear means you could run the Hawk's 15/50 sprockets while having the highway capability of a 17/47 sprocket setup on a 5spd bike. Or a 17/50, which would make 6th gear act like a 17/43 on a 5spd bike. That would really give the best of both worlds. Good off road gearing while being able to run the highway without redlining the engine.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124