Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2021, 02:45 AM   #1

A hello, and a request

Hello. I've been lurking around the forum for a while, but never posted much. I'm from Kentucky, and I'm looking to pull the trigger on a China bike. I've looked at so many lately that they're all starting to run together on me and are starting to seem so similar, that I feel like maybe I'm going nuts. Lol

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to a few choices, and hope you guys can point out if I'm getting ready to make a big flaw.

Im thinking about the straight Hawk 250 from Orion which comes assembled, and tested for $1450. The next option is the Hawk efi from Amazon for $1950 no assembly, which isn't a big deal. The last option is the Brozz from peace for $1950.

Is the efi hawk or the brozz that much better to pay the extra $400?

If I go with the Hawk efi, the first thing that's happening is some razor action to remove the "strongest" area on the side. Lol

Old 03-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #2

My advice purchasing anything with an engine is to go efi, if possible.

It’s a complete joy when your equipment/toy starts first time, every time no matter what.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

What part of Kentucky are you in? I'm in Somerset.....
As for EFI, it is very nice for sure, but a carb'ed bike can be OK too, will just require a little more fiddling with to get right, and a little more maintenance down the road....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 03-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #4

Welcome.. I say leave the sticker on, it gives the bike greatest of character.. also when people ask about it you could always say that out of all of the Chinese bikes this one earned the Strongest designation in its class

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #5

My advise is if you dont plan on any intake or exhaust changes, and you dont mind replacing fuel pumps, then go efi. If you plan on doing any engine mods, and dont mind changing carb jets (and saving $300 on the price), then go with the regular model.
Of course it depends on where you live, there are some states that will only register the efi models.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 03-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

Of those 3 options, I would narrow it down to the realistic use of the bike. If you are going to be using it mostly on-road but want to have some trail fun from time to time get the Brozz. It's plenty capable of light off roading, has better quality control out of the box, and the counter balanced motor makes it smoother.

The Hawks are nice with the larger wheels for off road and do allow for a lot more tire selection in that regard.

People make too much of a big deal about the carburetor thing. Yes, EFI will be much easier in terms of starting it and going, but the reality is, once you have your jetting figured out, it is not very often that you will find yourself changing jets, and if you do, it takes a few minutes to do.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #7

I feel like at the end of the day a tuned carb is more reliable than efi. I have had efi fail me in the past with pump and fuse issues. never fun, efi is beautiful, but it can also cause a series or headaches if it fails.

I would say if you want great customer service go with a Brozz from peace sports and talk to Jeff before pulling the trigger.

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 03-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #8

I would take carb over EFI any day of the week. The carb is easier to live with once you get it going, and there's less to go wrong. I have actually been on a ride where a blade of grass laid flat across the float bowl was the fix for a broken float bowl seal. I don't know too many EFI systems that can be fixed out in the middle of nowhere with a blade of grass. EFI is great on paper if you're just going to be plowing around on the surface streets and bombing down the highways, but out in the middle of nowhere, I'd much rather have something I can fix with bailing wire and chewing gum. Bottom line, Carbs are great once you get them tuned and invest the time to dial them in, EFI is great if you don't want to worry about much of anything and tuning really isn't up your alley. Let us know what you decide to get.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
What part of Kentucky are you in? I'm in Somerset.....
As for EFI, it is very nice for sure, but a carb'ed bike can be OK too, will just require a little more fiddling with to get right, and a little more maintenance down the road....
Hey.. I live in Somerset too. We can go riding if it ever stops raining

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the two carb'd models. I don't mind tuning the carb, and efi makes me nervous for some reason. Too many moving parts that I don't know how to fix.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #10

The Brozz is basically a Hawk DLX with a carb, has the counter balanced engine, braided brake lines, USD forks, skid plate. I have never actually seen a Hawk, I was obsessed over them but went with a Brozz after talking to Jeff at Peace Sports. I personally couldn't be happier, but the Bashan Storm is also a nice score because it has everything the Brozz has but comes with better handlebars and includes handguards. It's a little cheaper cost at about $1600 + $300 shipping, still beating the $1950 price of the Brozz or Hawk DLX.

https://www.killermotorsports.com/ba...dirt-bike.html

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 03-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMutant View Post
Hey.. I live in Somerset too. We can go riding if it ever stops raining

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the two carb'd models. I don't mind tuning the carb, and efi makes me nervous for some reason. Too many moving parts that I don't know how to fix.
Wow, small world! You'll have to let me know when your bike in, and maybe we can get some ride time in....sold my XT250 a year ago, so the RX3 is my most Duel Sport bike right now, but I also have a AJP PR4 Dirt Bike, so depends on what kind of riding you like
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input. I was going to get a Brozz Recon, but I got sick this last weekend and missed out on getting one this season, so I went with the Hawk DLX.

After a realistic look at my current abilities, I figured the efi option was the way to go. I can always get a recon or other model down the road. Plus I dont think I'm going to be travelling anywhere I can't walk out of for the time being, so I feel pretty safe in going with fuel injection.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
Wow, small world! You'll have to let me know when your bike in, and maybe we can get some ride time in....sold my XT250 a year ago, so the RX3 is my most Duel Sport bike right now, but I also have a AJP PR4 Dirt Bike, so depends on what kind of riding you like
I lived for 12 years near Manchester, and have family in Somerset! The Appalachian mountains in Kentucky might not be tall, but man are they steep. Lots of seriously deep mud holes too. I had a CJ5 jeep and a DR350 while I was there. Lots of great riding.
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 04-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landsvw View Post
I lived for 12 years near Manchester, and have family in Somerset! The Appalachian mountains in Kentucky might not be tall, but man are they steep. Lots of seriously deep mud holes too. I had a CJ5 jeep and a DR350 while I was there. Lots of great riding.
Redbird is where we do most of our Dirt bike riding, and I used to ride a DR350 too, good trail bike.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member