Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

2011 X31 Gio clutch cables breaking

My stock clutch cable broke within my first couple of rides on my 2011 X31 Gio. So I hopped on Gio's website and won a clutch cable for $2 plus shipping. It came to $36.11 total. I put it on the bike and rode it maybe a total of 10 hours, cable broke AGAIN yesterday while I was back in the middle of nowhere. Not fun!!!

I checked to make sure there was no binding anywheres on the clutch arm, and the cable has a free path to the engine and that the cable was not binding. BOTH cables broke off at the hsndle where the cable goes into the end. Just a cheap cable.

I am not the kind of guy to throw parts at something that has a history of breaking. I am NOT putting ANOTHER stock clutch cable back on there again.

Anyone here done a hydraulic conversion before?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=p5197.c0.m619

the price of ANOTHER stock cable plus shipping is a mere 32 cents less than this hydraulic conversion.

I am handy enough to make it work, but I want to know is it worth it? Will this thing break as fast a a cable will?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #2

There is a cable repair thread here, but you'll need to search for it. It involves a drinking straw and some JB weld. Whatever you choose to do, always lube even new cables with a cable luber and good lubricant. I use Maxima Chain Wax.

I don't remember who, but somebody here installed a hydraulic clutch with mixed results. I'd be more inclined to find a Motion Pro cable that matches your original and call it done.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #3

clutch cable

there is free shipping and for less than $50.00 try and post the results... might be a good deal... and it is only alittle more than a cable... you should have waited and won 2 or 3 of these.. and it would have cost t about the same $$ for shipping

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #4

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Hydraulic conversion last night for $52 and come change. If it works, awsome. but if it doesn't, I am not out any big money. Most of the time these conversions sell for like $300, so I am kind of weary on the $52 part, but it's only money, right?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #5

Keep us posted, as I am interested also.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #6

Well, I got the part in the mail about a week ago and installed it the night it came in, but because of work I haven't rally been able to try it out a whole lot. I got on the bike this morning and drove it for about an hour. The clutch seems to work fairly well. It took a little bit of adjusting to get it to work just right, but it seems to disengage all the way and seems to bite in really good too. I can't get the clutch to slip when it is fully engaged.

Here is the link to the ebay page where I bought mine from. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160657872196

No more broken clutch cables for me!!!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #7

Glad to hear it worked out. Got pics? We'd all love to see the installation.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #8

I can certainly get a few showing the details of how it is on there. I got to go with the better half for a little road trip, but check back tonigh when I make it homet!!