Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #1

Ported head and low end torque

Those of you that have ported the head on the CG clone.
Did you loose any bottom end torque?

This pushrod engine is no rev master and seems to do well at low rpm in stock form.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #2

It's pretty hard to tell. I had about 900 miles when I did my head and have put about 300 on since then. Seat of the pants says there is definitely an improvement. I also did the 4 degree advance key at the same time, so I expect that contributes as well. I have yet to do anything with the exhaust which I expect to make a big difference. I really don't want it any louder, so we'll see.

John

Old 06-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #3

I didn't notice any loss, but I didn't really make the ports any larger. I blended the casting in the bowls, narrowed up the guide area, and smoothed out the short side radius. I left the intake port pretty rough to keep the fuel suspended better and the exhaust I used some sanding rolls on to help keep carbon from building up so quickly. I also left the "ridge" around the intake valve seat in the combustion chamber to help the fuel "shear" as it passes into the chamber and I smoothed that ridge out a little on the exhaust.

Another thing I did, as do many others, is to use a thinner head gasket to give a little more compression and it helps the squish band to work a little better, both aid in boosting power across the board.

So if you're conservative an dont just hog everything out, it should gain across the entire operating range.

Good luck!

BTW: When you're all done don't expect it to become a fire breathing motocross machine.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Last edited by TxTaoRider; 06-05-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #4

I lost nothing on the low end. I only port matched the intake and opened up around the valve guide sides along the roof and blended the bowl. The exhaust side got the most work in terms of actual material removal because it needed it a lot more.

Top end saw a slight improvement, but the power curve of these engines is dictated by the cam far more than the head ports. If the head porting is done properly, especially if you free up the exhaust side and improve the exhaust to intake ratio, the whole power curve should improve. With all of the upgrades I have done, my bike is tractor in the mid RPM range.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM View Post
Those of you that have ported the head on the CG clone.
Did you loose any bottom end torque?

This pushrod engine is no rev master and seems to do well at low rpm in stock form.
I didn’t lose any low end torque and after the exhaust port and polish and head milling, aftermarket exhaust and the PE30 install, I was able to do small power wheelies on low end acceleration. When it was stock it was no where close to doing that. I really feel like it woke the motor up quite a bit.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681