Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

RX-3 down....

My buddy who confidently bought an RX-3 right after I bought mine and loved it just called me and said he is stranded on the freeway. Was cruising along in 6th gear and bike just died. Electrics are good terminal and connections are good bike has spark but plug is a little wet with fuel (which might be from trying to start it) so I assume that would rule out fuel pump. Only thing I can think of is the CDI box went out. He only has 80 miles on the bike so far and hes gonna have to get it towed to nearest shop which is 30 minutes away..I havent heard or read of anyone else having any similar issues like this hopefully its an easy fix and hopefully CSC will take care of the costs with the shop although sounds like he'll have to foot the towing bill. Any ideas though greatly appreciated otherwise I'll post updates on status and what the results of everything are.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

Superdude,
Sounds like Andy on one of the other forums had the same issue.
http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/show...ition-problems

Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
Superdude,
Sounds like Andy on one of the other forums had the same issue.
http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/show...ition-problems
thanks for the link rojo. only thing with this bike is its brand new doesnt have a spec of dirt on it or have any symptoms prior to this happening. might try the reset thing and see if that fixes it problem with that is then if that does work we'll never know what the issue is/was and be slave to it happening again.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

The only thing hes done to it or has messed with is he took the headlight bucket off and obviously the cluster to swap out the headlight bulb for an H4 and did the cut out and water hole as wall and did the cutout for it. Could of loosened an ignition wire up there that faulted and caused the ECU to throw a code and not let it start. Is a hard reset key off and on 5 times and that will clear? Plus how to tell if or what the code is?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

There is a connector under the tank that might have worked loose, Chucks bike it was loose when he got it, took some search.g to determine why it wouldn't start
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #6

I had an O2 sensor fail at about 1,000 miles. Mine starting running rough, and then died once, but it started right back up. I received the replacement O2 sensor this week, but haven't installed it yet.

I'm not sure how to reset fault codes, but here's how to read them (I learned this on the side of the road while talking to Gerry from CSC):

Start with the key in the off position. Turn the kill switch to the on position, and then turn the key ON, off, ON, off, ON and leave it on. If there's an error code, the engine light will begin to flash a pattern that reveals a four-digit code. The light will flash once for one, twice for two, and so on-however, 10 flashes equals zero. Mine flashed this pattern: 10, 1, 3, 2, which is code 0132, which indicates a faulty oxygen sensor. After it flashes the code, wait and see if it flashes another, or repeats the same one. The flashing sequence is supposed to pause for 4 seconds between 4-digit sequences.

If your friend's bike powers up, have him try this and see what happens.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
....Plus how to tell if or what the code is?
Turn the ignition switch on/off, on/off, on, in rapid succession. Watch the engine warning light, and it will flash a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Count the blinks. Here is a description from a Chinese service manual.

After confirming there is a fault, if open and close the key for three times switch three times, namely, open — close—open—close—open the key, the fault light will come to a flash code corresponding to the fault. And then through the fault code table identify the corresponding fault. With fault light reading fault, the rules of the flash code are as follows, for example, if the fault is the intake air pressure sensor is disconnected or the signal-side pin shorts to battery negative, after the key is opened and closed for three times the fault light will first flicker for 10 times on behalf of 0, flicker for 1 times on behalf of 1 after an interval of 1.2 seconds, flicker for 10 times again on behalf of 0 after an interval of 1.2 seconds, and after an interval of 1.2 seconds flicker for 7 times on behalf of 7 , namely, P0107.it is thus clear that other figures from 0 to 9 are expressed by the times of the flicker of the fault light except that figure 0 is expressed by flicker for 10 times. If there are other fault codes, such as fault P0201, which means there is a fault in the front cylinder injector, the fault light will continue to flicker P0201 fault code in 3.2 seconds after finishing P0107; if there is no other fault, the fault light will flicker P0107 and P0201 circularly, and then check the fault code table for related faults.

Here is a chart of the Delphi MT05 ECU fault codes, in both decimal, and hexidecimal form.

If you telephone CSC, they will also help you to decipher the trouble codes.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Turn the ignition switch on/off, on/off, on, in rapid succession. Watch the engine warning light, and it will flash a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Count the blinks. Here is a description from a Chinese service manual.

After confirming there is a fault, if open and close the key for three times switch three times, namely, open — close—open—close—open the key, the fault light will come to a flash code corresponding to the fault. And then through the fault code table identify the corresponding fault. With fault light reading fault, the rules of the flash code are as follows, for example, if the fault is the intake air pressure sensor is disconnected or the signal-side pin shorts to battery negative, after the key is opened and closed for three times the fault light will first flicker for 10 times on behalf of 0, flicker for 1 times on behalf of 1 after an interval of 1.2 seconds, flicker for 10 times again on behalf of 0 after an interval of 1.2 seconds, and after an interval of 1.2 seconds flicker for 7 times on behalf of 7 , namely, P0107.it is thus clear that other figures from 0 to 9 are expressed by the times of the flicker of the fault light except that figure 0 is expressed by flicker for 10 times. If there are other fault codes, such as fault P0201, which means there is a fault in the front cylinder injector, the fault light will continue to flicker P0201 fault code in 3.2 seconds after finishing P0107; if there is no other fault, the fault light will flicker P0107 and P0201 circularly, and then check the fault code table for related faults.

Here is a chart of the Delphi MT05 ECU fault codes, in both decimal, and hexidecimal form.

If you telephone CSC, they will also help you to decipher the trouble codes.

This is very helpful Spud. Bike is staying overnight at gas station tonight and grabbing it tommorrow. Definitely will do the ignition cycle to see what the fault code is thats coming up and then we'll go from there I guess. He called CSC today right after it happened but Gerry and Ryan and all knowledgeable staff were at the motorcycle show. :/ But this forum usually serves to be just as or more useful anyway.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #9

Start with basics.

It is also possible that it is just something simple, like a loose connector.

I suggest both of you review the tutorial from CSC.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=261

Good luck with it and please report back.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

Or if your like me, he hit the kill switch accidentally. rj

Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Or if your like me, he hit the kill switch accidentally. rj
Been there done that

Old 11-22-2015, 04:00 AM   #12

Went to pick it up tonight and went through all the electrical. First thing I did was the fault code check and there was no flashing lights. Everything checked out. Everything was connected and fuses were good. Stumped. Could it be fuel pump or efi if the fuel pump is priming fine? Might be fuel issues. Not sure. He's gonna call Gerry on Monday and prob take it to a shop Tuesday

Old 11-22-2015, 04:06 AM   #13

Thanks for posting the update. Good luck.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #14

Unless it's a hard failure of some kind from a new electronic part, I can't help but think it's something simple....like a battery connection or like others say, a connector somewhere that came apart. Also, the old rule of: "Look where the hands were last." comes into play. I'd check out all the headlight area electrical connectors closely. Disconnect and reconnect each connector. He may have bent a prong on a connector he had apart. It happens.
I had a brand new Victory die on me. 60 whole miles. Loose battery connection from the shop. If the EFI doesn't get full voltage, it shuts itself down to save itself. Hopefully it's something simple like this.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

Superdude,

Do you have an update for us? Was the problem diagnosed, and resolved?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220