Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #1

2021 Hawk DLX

I've got a major issue I got a 2021 hawk dlx 250. I rode it for 3 days it's got a 15 amp fuse in it as the main fuse every single time I turn the kill switch it'll run position I blow the fuse I have taken that bike apart followed every wire there is no bare wires it has a key switch plus a kill switch with the starter switch I have tried everything to figure out what these constant short is I finally come to the conclusion that it is my fuel pump shorting out. The reason I Come to this conclusion obviously since I can't feel it the fuel pump or anything cuz it blows a fuse instantly it's because when I was riding it the last time before all this started it started misfiring cutting out like it was starving for fuel or fire is anybody familiar with this it's brand new it's still under warranty but I'm second-guessing myself on the weather it is the fuel pump now since the Killswitch doesn't do anything with fuel I cannot figure it out any thoughts the only way I can get the dealer to check it out is send it all the way to Texas and I'm not doing that I live in Indiana has anybody had any issues it's the brand new bike any thoughts or any advice would be great it's been down for 6 days

Old 09-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #2

It's got a connection to read the ECU but I do not have the machine to read the codes. Any advice or thoughts would be helpful in figuring this out on my own I have nothing more than a multimeter

Old 09-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #3

1st off welcome to the site!

2nd, those are probably the longest two sentences ever written. Lol

3rd, it was a little hard to understand, but I'm sure someone here will know what the issue is and get you fixed up.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 09-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #4

There's nothing wrong with the kill switch I took it completely apart I cannot figure out where my constant draw is at that is blowing the fuse if I have the the kill switch in the kill position you can turn the key on crank on the starter all you want but the minute you put the switch into the Run position it blows the fuse I took the Killswitch apart there's nothing wrong with it any advice

Old 09-15-2021, 12:16 AM   #5

Doh! Issue with hawk 250

No one has had issues like this. I really wish someone could help I don't want to send the bike back but if I have to I will but if I do I'm not buying another one not from them they got the worst customer service ever seen in my life it's Moto Pro Joyce I can't get her answer me half the time I'm doing the work myself trying to save them money cuz I'm not letting them ship it but if I can't solve it then its no use to me please send feedback i know there are mechanics out there

Old 09-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #6

Inspect all the wiring harness and look for shorts. You may have a bare wire shorting against the frame and grounding out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #7

If you're suspecting it's the fuel pump, try unplugging the fuel pump connector (go ahead and remove the tank so you can see everything), and then try to move your kill switch into position. If the fuse doesn't blow, you'll know you're barking up the right tree. If the fuse still blows, keep on removing items until you can run the kill switch without blowing the fuse. This is going to turn into a simple (but probably time consuming) process of elimination. There isn't a whole lot on these bikes that connects to electrical but you're just going to have to approach it methodically and take one piece of the puzzle out at a time. If you get all the components off and it still blows the fuse, then you know you have a wiring short to ground. The good news is that by that time, the whole bike will be pretty well stripped down and it'll make tracing the wiring a snap. If you really wanted to go for broke, you could get a small click-clack fuel pump from the auto parts store and hook that into a fuel can and try to run the bike off that as a step in your troubleshooting. Let us know how it works out for!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
If you're suspecting it's the fuel pump, try unplugging the fuel pump connector (go ahead and remove the tank so you can see everything), and then try to move your kill switch into position. If the fuse doesn't blow, you'll know you're barking up the right tree. If the fuse still blows, keep on removing items until you can run the kill switch without blowing the fuse. This is going to turn into a simple (but probably time consuming) process of elimination. There isn't a whole lot on these bikes that connects to electrical but you're just going to have to approach it methodically and take one piece of the puzzle out at a time. If you get all the components off and it still blows the fuse, then you know you have a wiring short to ground. The good news is that by that time, the whole bike will be pretty well stripped down and it'll make tracing the wiring a snap. If you really wanted to go for broke, you could get a small click-clack fuel pump from the auto parts store and hook that into a fuel can and try to run the bike off that as a step in your troubleshooting. Let us know how it works out for!
This is a simple approach, but I'd suggest wiring a circuit breaker to bypass the fuse with the same amp rating. This is installed for testing only. Depending on how many things you have to unplug, it'll save you on blowing up a dozen fuses. You can pick up circuit breakers in the fuse section at auto parts stores.

Of course it won't help if you have a short on the harness side of the connector, so you might end up splitting the loom open to carefully inspect all the wiring if that's the case.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone who responded it is the fuel pump relay. I really appreciate the feedback

Old 09-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded it is the fuel pump relay. I really appreciate the feedback
Is it just the relay, or the fuel pump itself? It should be pretty simple to wire in a new relay if that's all it was. Should be an off-the-shelf part at any local auto supply store.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #11

That's the thing I've went to every bike and auto place here 6 total. They have never seen a 4 post 30 Amp. They have only seen 5. I still have not received the part from moto pro. It has really been a pain in the butt. Not sure what to do

Old 09-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #12

I did as Emerikol stated i unplugged the relay and it does not blow the fuse this was after i put the new pump in it. The relay also appears burnt. I know this is crazy cause the bike is still under their so called warranty but i needed it last week and do not have time for them shipping it back and forth. I just need to get it fixed. They are no help

Old 09-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #13

punctuation

Yeah sorry not real good with punctuation. Seem to run everything together when aggravated. I do apologize

Old 09-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #14

All I am at wits end. I put the new relay in today. The bike started right up so I thought the problem was fixed. I let it run for 5 minutes or so. I walked over to the bike went to rev it up a little and it blew the fuse instantly once again and now it is doing the exact same thing. It blows the fuse the minute i turn the key on with the kill switch in the run position. I dont even have time to engage the starter. How could the new relay have fixed it for 1 start and be doing the exact same thing all over again now with a new fuel pump and new relay.....please help I can not get any shop around here to look at it. I was diesel mechanic for 8 yrs in the service but I am not real wise on electrical. I thought I figured it out but apparently not. I am not sure what else to do other than bypass the kill switch but Im not sure how to do that since the starter switch is part of the kill switch and I am not even sure now if that is it. As i stated please help

Old 09-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
All I am at wits end. I put the new relay in today. The bike started right up so I thought the problem was fixed. I let it run for 5 minutes or so. I walked over to the bike went to rev it up a little and it blew the fuse instantly once again and now it is doing the exact same thing. It blows the fuse the minute i turn the key on with the kill switch in the run position. I dont even have time to engage the starter. How could the new relay have fixed it for 1 start and be doing the exact same thing all over again now with a new fuel pump and new relay.....please help I can not get any shop around here to look at it. I was diesel mechanic for 8 yrs in the service but I am not real wise on electrical. I thought I figured it out but apparently not. I am not sure what else to do other than bypass the kill switch but Im not sure how to do that since the starter switch is part of the kill switch and I am not even sure now if that is it. As i stated please help
I'm thinking that direct short that was brought up in post#6 is probably the stator? The reason why is it ran for 5 minutes until you twisted the throttle and it quit. Meaning something is loose or wrong with it. Just my thought...