Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Not too familiar with 2 strokes.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rvs/2543531803.html

It's a little over an hour from me. Everything seems to be in order. According to the guy on the phone, the shifter gear nor kick start gear are stripped out. The bolt vibrated out of the kick start lever and the toe shifter broke off when laid down. What else should I look for when looking this bike (or any other 2 stroke, for that matter) over?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

I am not an expert, bu that pipe looks pretty beat up. The pipe makes a big difference on a 2 stroke as far as tuning goes. The fat section is called an expansion chamber.

Engine seals need to be good for it to run right.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #3

The KDX is about the best trailbike ever made. Another member is likely to chjime in and add some data.

I have had quite a bit of experiance on the KDX and that price looks good, provided it's all there, runs, and has a title.

The expansion chamber can be fixed by a company in Oregon for about $60. See this article:

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2618749540.html

Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #4

Depending on whats really wrong with the shifter and kick starter, I'd probably buy that bike at that price if it was local to me. :wink:

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #5

I had three KDX 200s (all 1990s). Great bikes. Almost bullet proof. But like all machines there are problems if maintenance is neglected. The stock piston in the 220s is a known weak point and prone to failure, but that bike's a 96 and it's probably been replaced by now.

One of mine had trouble with the kick starter. It seemed to not engage or catch sometimes. I replaced a couple of springs in the assembly and worked fine after that. All most all parts are still available, even for the 89 to 94s so you shouldn't have any trouble finding new OEM parts.

I never had any problems with the shifter, and I haven't heard of any so that may be a red light. The kick starters do act up but the transmissions are pretty solid. Check it out thoroughly and make sure it holds all six gears under acceleration and deceleration. If it pops out of gear you'll have to split the cases to replace the shift fork or any damaged gears (basically a total rebuild).

Also look for signs of water in the oil. The water pump seals fail if left sitting with old coolant for along time. Easy to fix but can get pricy if you have to replace the pump shaft due to pitting or rust (never get a good seal if it's pitted). It's easy to spot water in the oil, it looks like a chocolate shake.

Here's a KDX forum I used to reference a lot: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/

I traded one of the KDXs for an ATV for my son. And this summer I sold the other two for $800 each. I bought a 79 CB 750. for $500 and I've been enjoying it all summer. Still have my Shineray too.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Thanks guys, I think I will make the trip tomorrow and check this bike out. I will let you know how it goes! From the ad, it looks like it was posted over a month ago. Sometimes thats a good thing (you can lowball the people because they're tired of sitting on it) or a bad thing (nobody bought the thing because it was a turd).

Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #7

From what I hear the KDX is a good bike too. It may be a deal that just needs alittle TLC put into it.