Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #1

Hawk 250 Not Charging Battery

I installed a USB port on my handlebar that just so happened to have a volt meter built in. Today was the longest ride I have taken so far on the Hawk.......about 35 miles. The volt meter started out at 12.2 (which is way too low) and by the time I made it home it was at 9.5 and the headlight was dim and the digital dash was doing funny stuff. I don't think the charging system has worked since day one because:

1. I haven't taken any long trips since I am still in the break in period

2. I always plug up my trickle charger to the bike when I park it so the battery is always fully charged.

My next step is to make sure the stator and the rectifier are actually plugged in to the system or if I missed a wire hooking up the battery. If that doesn't pan out then I need to troubleshoot what component isn't working.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

I checked all connections and they are all correct.
I unplugged the stator and checked for resistance across the stator leads. I got 1.5 ohms, 156.0 ohms and zero ohms when checking the different leads. If I understand correctly, these should all be the same.
I also checked the leads to the frame on the bike and there was no short to ground detected.
Unless anyone has anything to add I guess I need to see if I can get a new stator under warranty.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #3

sounds right also you should get something like 75v AC between each yellow stator wire.
the resistance test is done from 1 yellow to another yellow and they should all be the same, also from 1 yellow to earth/frame should have no continuity