Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #1

Tao Tao Rhino mikuni carb problem

Hello to all. New to the site and hope this is the way to go. Have a 2017 250 and just changed to mikuni as all have recommended with 30 pilot and 115 main jets and I am at at 900 feet elevation. Started right up and had the high idle issue and solved that but rig will not run without full choke...then runs great. Without full choke starts but pops and stumbles and dies. A/F mixture set at 2 turns out. Carb to intake boot tight and using K&N filter. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #2

Sounds like your close. I'm not sure about an ATV from a dirt bike but here is a thread with some really good details about suggestions, and explanations. Look for posts from MegaDan. He has suggestions for jets, and great info about each jets role.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20510

Do you buy any other jets? Did you check to see what the needle clip position is? With the choke off, how does the ATV idle, and drive when at temp?

Douglass

Old 03-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

Good stuff on that link Douglass. I saved a copy for when I'm ready to tweak my Rhino's Migoonie a little more.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Have not purchased any other jets at this point. The needle is at the 4th slot down from the top and mixture is at 2 turns out. Starts with choke on and runs strong but dies with choke off. I will not get a chance to work with it for a couple weeks because the rig is at our vacation home.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Have not purchased any other jets at this point. The needle is at the 4th slot down from the top and mixture is at 2 turns out. Starts with choke on and runs strong but dies with choke off. I will not get a chance to work with it for a couple weeks because the rig is at our vacation home.
I'm sure I have the same carb as you that I will be installing into my Apollo soon. I am at sea level, and am starting with the 30 pilot, and a 117.5 main jet. I will have the needle clip in the middle position. Are you able to get the bike to run at all with the choke off, or does it just die when its switched off? When I cold start my bike, I have to let it run for a little bit ( around a minute or two )with the choke on full, then half, then off. If I try to hurry up the processes the engine will die if I turn the choke off to quickly.

Douglass

Old 03-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

carb problem

you have a vacuum leak where the carb mounts... when you have the choke on... it draws the air& fuel in... when you take the choke off... then too much air is drawn in... check with some either or carb cleaner around the mouinting area with the choke on to let it run... where ever the leak is ... it will stumble... happens all the time when you change things,,, spacer leaks .. the oring falls out... not in the right position... clamp loose etc

Old 03-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #7

Dies with choke off even after engine is warmed up.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

Thanks...the only other thing I can think of. Will try that next time I get up to the cottage.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #9

Hello to all again. Got back up to the cottage and did the carb cleaner vacuum leak test and no influence so no intake leaks. Pulled the carb and all jets clean but still stumbles and starves out at idle without full choke but runs great just off idle. Also very little change adjusting fuel air mixture screw 1 to 3 turns out. Thinking need to move up from the 30 pilot to a 32.5 or 35. STUMPED!!!

Old 04-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #10

Problem Solved!!

Bumped the pilot to a 40 and running spot on. Starts immmediately with full choke for about 20 seconds and then choke off for about a minute with solid idle at about 600 rpm and solid response through entire powerband. Going to add a chinese digital gear indicator and additional connectors that has the same connector pins on the harness so can patch it in according to the pinout provided by anhords post. Pics attached .......hopefully. New to the site. Thanks again to all for the help.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #11

Do you have a link for the display? I have one but mine doesn't have the mounting tabs.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #12

Link to indicator

Hope this works.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe...811240187.html

Old 04-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #13

nice just wish it would have R on it.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDEMIC View Post
nice just wish it would have R on it.
Just change the pinout for use on an ATV. Place the first gear wire in the second gear connector, the second gear in the third gear connector and so on. You won't have sixth, so you can ignore that. Use fifth in the first gear spot and use that your reverse indicator.

On a CG with reverse, the reverse gear is placed where first would normally be, meaning that first gear is actually second, second gear is actually third, etc. You can also just use the first gear wire to power a red LED for reverse and use the segmented LED display for forward gears. My ATV just uses a red LED bulb for reverse and a green LED bulb for neutral.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #15

I plan on keeping the stock N and R dash lights and using the indicator for 1 through 4.
2016 Tao Tao 125D