Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Lifan 200 GY Starter Issue

Hey guys,

I've got a 2007 Lifan GY 200 that I can't start. I got it for $490 and it has about 9000 km on it. When I press the electric start button I hear the starter motor kind of growl but definitely not crank the engine. It does not sound like gears are grinding or anything like that. I can crank the engine with the kickstart but I don't know what I'm doing and am unable to start the bike.

The growling noise sounds like the starter is not strong enough to crank the engine.

I have checked the battery, it's at a full 12 volts and change. I have not tested the battery while pressing the starter button.

This issue cropped up just 2 hours after I had started, rode, and stopped the bike normally.

Is is possible that the starter died then and there? I have yet to open the starter cover look inside. I plan to remove this cover and observe what happens during starting: http://i.imgur.com/BOvyl8P.png

If it comes down to me needing a new starter, I think this is the correct product but if anyone can confirm that would be awesome: http://www.ebay.com/itm/x/200152866699

I find it extremely strange that the starter died so quickly. Any other troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: On a side note, the speedometer and tachometer have not worked as long as I've owned the bike. The speedo's needle has fallen off and the tachometer cable is missing. Does anyone know where I can buy replacements?

Old 11-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #2

Welcome!

Before going any further, try (carefully) boosting the bike with jumper cables. If it starts normally, your battery is done. Very common.

eBay is your friend for speedometers, and I'd lose the tach. They lie.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer