Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #1

Hawk Headlight -

I am getting annoyed by my headlight, it seems nearly impossible to aim properly (the screw wants to strip very easily) and the pattern is less than optimal. i know some folks have installed a fanless LED bulb, any leakage or water seepage around the bulb with that install ?

another issue is that light shines up form the edge of the glass directly into your eyes i am sure I could solve that by putting a piece of tape over it but it seems like a bad design.

has anyone explored other headlight options ? a projector style would be pretty awesome.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtunimog View Post
I am getting annoyed by my headlight, it seems nearly impossible to aim properly (the screw wants to strip very easily) and the pattern is less than optimal. i know some folks have installed a fanless LED bulb, any leakage or water seepage around the bulb with that install ?

another issue is that light shines up form the edge of the glass directly into your eyes i am sure I could solve that by putting a piece of tape over it but it seems like a bad design.

has anyone explored other headlight options ? a projector style would be pretty awesome.
Someday in the future I am thinking on foing a bi led retrofit to the Hawk headlight, but for now I will stick with an LED replacement.

Tape or weather stripping is a good way to block the light in that gap on the top if it bugs you.

As far as leakage, i had no issues on my last Hawk, and it wawas ridden in, and parked in, some pretty heavy rain storms.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #3

I have the LED bulb and no issues with water. I have a piece of foam weather striping between my windshield and cluster that blocks the light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170818_183927.jpg (89.4 KB, 153 views)
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:

It sounds like the lens is in the housing upside down. Those bolts and stuff could be replaced with better stuff.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies - Weatherstripping is a great idea, I think I am going to go with some upgraded hardware (different adjustment screw) and an LED headlight bulb.

I recently saw a Ledur LED aux handlebar etc mount in action, how well will the mag keep up with the load of accessories , even LED’s ?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the replies - Weatherstripping is a great idea, I think I am going to go with some upgraded hardware (different adjustment screw) and an LED headlight bulb.

I recently saw a Ledur LED aux handlebar etc mount in action, how well will the mag keep up with the load of accessories , even LED’s ?

Hawks have an AC to DC charging system. Not a magneto set up like the old bikes. There is plenty of power to run LED add-ons and a power port for cell phone charging or GPS. I wouldn't add any more than that. A voltmeter would help to let you know when you're running off battery and the charging system isn't keeping up. I have them on all my bikes that I have added power accessories too.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Hawks have an AC to DC charging system. Not a magneto set up like the old bikes. There is plenty of power to run LED add-ons and a power port for cell phone charging or GPS. I wouldn't add any more than that. A voltmeter would help to let you know when you're running off battery and the charging system isn't keeping up. I have them on all my bikes that I have added power accessories too.
Thanks good to know!

Old 07-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks good to know!
You're welcome. Happy to lend a hand or info.