Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

The "wave"

Anyone who has driven a motorcycle on the roads knows about the"wave" to a fellow rider. I use to do the two fingers now I do a rock on symbol with the two fingers still pointing down. I was curious about other types people do? And does anyone know the true history of how this started? Also do you guys discriminate on types or bikes? Or helmet no helmet etc etc??

-Ancap Revolution-

"There can be no such thing as 'fairness in taxation.' Taxation is nothing but organized theft, and the concept of a 'fair tax' is therefore every bit as absurd as that of 'fair theft.'"
-Murray Rothbard

Old 05-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #2

In most of the areas I ride, I have learned to only 'wave/throw down' to those who 'initiate a wave'... other wise I'm the one spending all day waving and only 2 out of the hundred+ riders will wave back (the 2 are those who would usually 'initiate the wave' anyways I'm sure)...

I now spend all of my time looking around, if I see someone wave, I will nod/wave back...

Could just be the bikes I'm riding

I have found that usually I get 'waved/talked to' by 'sport/super bikes' and other beat up dual sport riders... any kind of big/heavy Cruiser/Adventure bike/rider, don't bother even looking at them

I will also say... I like to 'initiate the wave' to little scooters, they are always happy to see a 'biker wave' at them... I also like to do the 'cowboy' "tip/nod of the hat/helmet" to those who are riding around with no helmet

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #3

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swollbraham View Post
Anyone who has driven a motorcycle on the roads knows about the"wave" to a fellow rider. I use to do the two fingers now I do a rock on symbol with the two fingers still pointing down. I was curious about other types people do? And does anyone know the true history of how this started? Also do you guys discriminate on types or bikes? Or helmet no helmet etc etc??
lol, me thinks you may have a bit too much time on your hands hehehe
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
lol, me thinks you may have a bit too much time on your hands hehehe

Today I do.

-Ancap Revolution-

"There can be no such thing as 'fairness in taxation.' Taxation is nothing but organized theft, and the concept of a 'fair tax' is therefore every bit as absurd as that of 'fair theft.'"
-Murray Rothbard

Old 05-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Thumbs Up

ok, having done the previous post, out here in the Ozarks people will waive if you're wearing jogging shoes lol, just as a simple friendly courtesy of encountering you.
Out on the open road, I have trouble remembering ANY other bikers, pretty much anywhere NOT waiving or offering some other form of acknowledgement! It has always seemed to me to be an unspoken "DAMN, don't you think this world is nicer on a bike!" type sentiment exchange, regardless of who"s riding what, ( Tho i Will admit when out on the Duck or my big Triumph, it may tend more towards the "nice ride!" sentiment, often from mounted Police officers, 1 % Hog guys, and other general "big iron" types.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

someone needs to design one of these for the hawk.

Last edited by Sport Rider; 02-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

here where i am it is not encouraged, coz it distracts people. but you do get the odd nod from me - if i like the way your bike comes along - and usually people are friendly around here. but there s also heavy bikes with tatts and attitude and i just dont want to do the hard man no more :-)

Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #8

I wave if they do or don't is up to them