Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #1

Will This Work To Replace The Stock 2021 Rear Tube

I'm asking because I got this off a 2020 TBR7 link but I have a 2021. I popped my tube trying to tighten the spokes.

Also, is there a wheel liner I should replace between the tube & the rim also?

IRC Tube 110/100-18 Heavy Duty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FDU096...NRJ46VVW3GFH7Y

Old 01-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkay44 View Post
I'm asking because I got this off a 2020 TBR7 link but I have a 2021. I popped my tube trying to tighten the spokes.

Also, is there a wheel liner I should replace between the tube & the rim also?

IRC Tube 110/100-18 Heavy Duty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FDU096...NRJ46VVW3GFH7Y
If the sizes match it should work well. Next thing is to remove the tire/tube and grind down any spokes extending beyond the nipples and while you're there take the time to tighten all spokes as evenly as possible. Tip, when tightening spokes always tighten one and then move 5 or 7 spokes away so you won't get the rim out of true, odd numbers so you move to one side of the hub/rim and then the other. Then grind down any extending spokes to nipple level so as not to puncture the tube. This presumes you haven't tightened the spokes starting at one spot and going from there around, if you have don't panic just loosen them and start as I described BEFORE you grind down any spokes. As you tension spokes you can START looking at the trueness of the rim and your work. Using the rear axle mounted in the swingarm turning freely and a magic marker to check side to side and roundness. The high/out of roundness will be displayed by the magic marker and you tension spokes on the opposite side of the marks to true. When satisfied with trueness and spoke tension THEN grind down spokes to nipple level. Yes, rim strips/bands are/should be used, I always use a couple rounds of duct tape on the rim and then put the rim band over that to help prevent the scenario you described. Use a Phillips screwdriver to put a hole in the tape where the valve stem goes. Good luck, be patient.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by severely View Post
If the sizes match it should work well. Next thing is to remove the tire/tube and grind down any spokes extending beyond the nipples and while you're there take the time to tighten all spokes as evenly as possible. Tip, when tightening spokes always tighten one and then move 5 or 7 spokes away so you won't get the rim out of true, odd numbers so you move to one side of the hub/rim and then the other. Then grind down any extending spokes to nipple level so as not to puncture the tube. This presumes you haven't tightened the spokes starting at one spot and going from there around, if you have don't panic just loosen them and start as I described BEFORE you grind down any spokes. As you tension spokes you can START looking at the trueness of the rim and your work. Using the rear axle mounted in the swingarm turning freely and a magic marker to check side to side and roundness. The high/out of roundness will be displayed by the magic marker and you tension spokes on the opposite side of the marks to true. When satisfied with trueness and spoke tension THEN grind down spokes to nipple level. Yes, rim strips/bands are/should be used, I always use a couple rounds of duct tape on the rim and then put the rim band over that to help prevent the scenario you described. Use a Phillips screwdriver to put a hole in the tape where the valve stem goes. Good luck, be patient.
Thanks for those awsome instructions severely I really do appreciate them and did adhere to them. What a great help they were. One last question. I'm doing the duct tape double wrap like you suggested. It can't hurt to put two rim bands on can it? The old one's in decent shape and I already bought a new one.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkay44 View Post
Thanks for those awsome instructions severely I really do appreciate them and did adhere to them. What a great help they were. One last question. I'm doing the duct tape double wrap like you suggested. It can't hurt to put two rim bands on can it? The old one's in decent shape and I already bought a new one.
No, don't put both rubber rim bands on. It serves no purpose as you've already taken care of the issue. Too much can be too much. edit to add; you're most welcome and keep an eye on the spoke tension, they tend to loosen and can be troublesome until they bed in. You should hear musical notes from the spokes as they hit a small screwdriver while the wheel is spinning. Dull sounds mean too loose.

Last edited by severely; 01-22-2022 at 08:42 PM.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #5

I'll just do the two tape wraps and the new band then. I sure am glad I asked. Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #6

Youtube vid: How to true a wheel

1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself