Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

I got a scooter

I picked up a 2006 JM Star 150 something or other, see pic below. I think I got a pretty good deal on it, it only has 770 miles. I would like to run thru it tomorrow and change all the fluids, check all the nuts and bolts etc. I have done a little research already, and think I should pick up an NGK C7HSA spark plug and 10w30 oil. I am not sure about what type of gear oil I should pick up? Any advice on this would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Welcome! I use Castrol 75W90 Syntec synthetic oil. Synthetic 10W30 in the engine is also a good idea.

That looks like a decent exhaust system; do you plan on any mods?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Thanks fir the quick reply. I think that is just the cheesy factory exhaust. I do plan some mods, already have a sturdier trunk to put on it off one of my motorcycles. Also the mirrors are worthless, anyone know if they take a standard motorcycle mirror thread?

Old 10-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

That is the correct spark plug. $2 at Oreilly.

The mirrors will probably be a smaller thread size 8mm or 6mm.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #5

You could always drill out the rivets and pull the muffler apart. Perhaps you could creatively free up some power.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #6

First day on the scooter she runs like a champ. Roade about 60 miles after engine oil gear oil and spark plug change. At least I think it's about 60 miles. I'm pretty certain the speedo and odometer both read in kilometers. I was able to track my MPH with my iPhone. Steady 50mph into a headwind, 58 with the tailwind. I think that's a pretty good baseline. Couple other things I noticed was the vibration at top speed. It feels like the tires might be flat spotted. The tires are from 2006 and this scooter only has 750 (850 now) kilometers. Also, can anyone recommend suspension upgrades? Are those'racing' shocks on eBay worth buying? I'm planning on replacing the shock oil with something heavier and possibly removing the abs unit on front brake.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #7

That's a decent speed. When I want heavier fork oil, I simply use Castrol 30W non-detergent. It's easy to find at the local parts store, and it's cheap as chips.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's a decent speed. When I want heavier fork oil, I simply use Castrol 30W non-detergent. It's easy to find at the local parts store, and it's cheap as chips.
Cool. I have 15w left over from motorcycle forks. Was going to try that. How much do you weigh, if you dont mi d me asking. I am 175 and am worried 30w will be too stiff. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #9

Not sure, but my guess is 220 these days. I don't have a scooter, but I just changed the oil in an old set of forks on an XL250S, and they feel perfect to me with 30W.