Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

New Hawk 250 assembly

Received my Hawk 250 yesterday. Immediately took it off the shipping metal and skid. Got it all together, put some gas in it and started up no problem.
Took it for a ride and noticed the gas gauge was on empty,but I know the gas tank is indeed full. Any suggestions?
Also I am running on the factory oil and did not adjust the valves yet.
But surprisingly it is running great! So now I want to drain and replace the factory oil and put in 1.5 QTS Rotella motor oil. Than try adjusting the valves,
since I never adjusted valves before I hope I can get the job done.
Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #2

First off, 1.5qts is half a quart too much.

Make sure the gas guage sending unit is full plugged in under the tank. Some plugs could have come loose in it's 6000 mile journey to get to you.

It'll run fine now when new, without valves adjusted... but after it gets good and hot, put some miles on it, it'll start to be harder to start. Lose some power, might even stall when hot and not start til cooled down.

Adjust the valves now (it's easy, don't worry), then check them again at 300 or so, maybe again at 600 or 1000. It's 3 10mm bolts and just stick a feeler guage in to check. Takes maybe 10 mins if you're slow.

You're probably at about 300ft above sea level in SC, you're almost certainly going to wan to buy a silly little $12 jet kit from Amz and put a larger jet in there. They are so lean from the factory it's silly.

Probably has a 98 or a 100 to start off in there, slot your bowl screws and swap it for a 110 and see how she is.

Better than that is to spend $35 on a vm26 clone carburator and then rejet. So much better everything.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #3

Hawk 250

Deckard,
Thanks for the reply. I checked the wire for the gas gauge it's in tight and proper color. Further reading I found out that the gas tank is grounded,shorting out the gauge. Might be missing a rubber grommet on the gas tank bolt, shorting the tank to ground? On the carb, I don't know if mine has removable jets. When I bought it the description stated it had the new and improved carb.
So I assumed it was the Mukini. But after further inspection found it was made in China. I plan on draining the factory oil later today. Will install 1 qt Rotella
T4
Thanks a million,
Rick