Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2023, 10:17 PM   #1

Crank case vent ??

I have pod filters on both my TBR7 and Hawk, and on the TBR7, (until today), I was running a long section of tubing off the motor's vent, to the end of the bike, up to basically the rear blinker, and tail light, and then it turned down just a little, but on my Hawk, I just ran it into the opening in the airbox left from removing the big tube that linked the carb, and airbox. I have them little miniature pod filters on the end of the crankcase vent hoses on both bikes. I strongly dislike the fact that the TBR7 has no sight glass for checking the oil, and as a result I think I have a tendancy to over fill it. With the crankcase vent running out by the tail light , one of my bags, and my license plate are usually oily, so today I did it like on my Hawk, just running it into the airbox, and removing the little rubber drain plug. I know it's recommend to run it high, but I don't see anything wrong with running it back in the airbox, but I may be missing something. I honestly don't know the proper method for sure on checking the TBR7 oil, so I go with the method of removing the dipstick/plug and then trying to hold the bike straight up, sitting the dipstick/plug back in, but not threading it. The bike never really gets low between oil changes, but it is sometimes messy running it (vent hose)out by the tail light .

Old 06-10-2023, 06:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I have pod filters on both my TBR7 and Hawk, and on the TBR7, (until today), I was running a long section of tubing off the motor's vent, to the end of the bike, up to basically the rear blinker, and tail light, and then it turned down just a little, but on my Hawk, I just ran it into the opening in the airbox left from removing the big tube that linked the carb, and airbox. I have them little miniature pod filters on the end of the crankcase vent hoses on both bikes. I strongly dislike the fact that the TBR7 has no sight glass for checking the oil, and as a result I think I have a tendancy to over fill it. With the crankcase vent running out by the tail light , one of my bags, and my license plate are usually oily, so today I did it like on my Hawk, just running it into the airbox, and removing the little rubber drain plug. I know it's recommend to run it high, but I don't see anything wrong with running it back in the airbox, but I may be missing something. I honestly don't know the proper method for sure on checking the TBR7 oil, so I go with the method of removing the dipstick/plug and then trying to hold the bike straight up, sitting the dipstick/plug back in, but not threading it. The bike never really gets low between oil changes, but it is sometimes messy running it (vent hose)out by the tail light .
The sight glass on the Bashan Storm is real nice to have. But none on the 172-FMM 5 speed (early 2022 Templar X). So, I bought a cheap plastic measuring cup and I put just over 1 quart in it. It is worth measuring. No guessing.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:17 PM   #3

No need to run the crankcase vent all the way back to the tail light, just run the hose down to below the back of the engine like has been done for a 100 years.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
No need to run the crankcase vent all the way back to the tail light, just run the hose down to below the back of the engine like has been done for a 100 years.
I know that on old cars they wanted them down low enough so that air rushing past it helped pull gases out . I figure that the stock routing of the crankcase vent running into the airbox the correct way, and with the carb hooked up to it, created enough vacuum in the box to pull the gases back through the carb. I had thought that the reason that people liked to run the vent up high, and out towards the rear of the bike was mainly for possibly keeping oil from making it that far ( which on my TBR7 didn't work), or possibly to get it in positioned somewhere to catch air. The only real concern that I had about just running it through the open airbox was if it actually needed a little draw, or suction on it to pull gases out.