Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

TT Rhino250 Throttle cable

Moving the throttle cable around causes the throttle to engage. How do I fix this? Does it need more cable inside the carb? Right now there is no play in the cable. The cable and seathe to the carb are plenty long. I also don't know how to give it more inside the carb without removing part of the sheathe somehow or buying a longer cable.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

Are the adjuster nut/s (if you have any) on the cable all the ways slack? Preloading the cable in the opposite direction before screwing the slide cup back on might help.

I had to unwind a little of my cable cover to get some slack in it but was a last resort. I did this when I upgraded the carb. With the OEM carb I do remember having the issue you are describing. I just knocked it around until the idle calmed down.

Probably a manufacturing defect/irregularity or they start you off with a tight setup expecting some stretch after use (kinda doubt the later being a Chinese ATV)

Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #3

I'm not sure how to ajust the throttle cable with the nut near the handle. But the two nuts are tight together, so in other words no cable is showing. I'm not sure mechanically how spacing the two nuts apart is going to give me more cable. The first issue I had was the cable inside the carb was too short for my new carb, so in effect the throttle was full open. I finally figured it out and cut off some of the cable housing so I could fit more cable inside the carb. I'm thinking I might need to cut off some more, but it was a HUGE pain in the ass to do it.

Edit: Yeah it seems the throttle cable is just too short compared to the housing. The adjuster nut is already all the way slack.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #4

Okay guess I explained it wrong.. LOL sounded right in my head.

Yeah if the adjuster nut is all the ways run into the handle it's as slack as it is going to get.

If you trim it back some more, do a little at a time... you can take wraps away but can't add them if you go to far. Watch you don't create a sharp edge that will eat through the cable.

If I remember right I took the throttle slide out and pushed it in to slack the throttle cable and fished the other end out through the handlebar lever.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

The Rhino uses an inline adjuster that is several inches down the cable from the throttle lever. To get more length you need to shorten the adjuster which reduces the housing length and effectively lengthens the inner cable.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #6

Good point Mudflap... I forget that its even there.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #7

Ok I got it fixed. Just had to remove some of the cable sheath on the carb side and now I have plenty of slack. 10 minutes with a dremel.