Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Some subtle mods to TBR7

sorry guys, but I don't like the look of all the extra plastic parts that are on the bike. So I removed the tank sides, exhaust "shield" and the brush guards. I added a harbor freight 3800 case to the rear rack. I think it gives the bike an old school cleaner look. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1018191021.jpg (96.6 KB, 2122 views)
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

I see you're in AZ, the color black attracts solar heat. Cool gas burns better....

Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Paint the tank white the bike has to much black on it.
I actually agree with this. In your bikes case it would look much cleaner with a white tank to match the plastics.

I have off and on considered de-palastification of my Hawk and doing some mods to make it look more like an old school Honda SL, big round fender, round headligh, and all. My only desire if I do that is to try and remove the brackets for the tank plastics to clean up the look. I am just wary of doing such a thing with such thin steel. I may order a TT250 tank when I attempt this just to get the better gas cap design while I am at it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #4

I thought about keeping the tank tabs and adding a tank vest. I have no idea how to run a sewing machine. So I’m stuck here. It looks like a Kawi 650 is the only type available. I’m almost certain it won’t fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5DCC324-9DE6-4DDF-988C-F291412154D3.jpg (17.7 KB, 1024 views)
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Last edited by Red Hawk; 10-18-2019 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-19-2019, 01:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
I thought about keeping the tank tabs and adding a tank vest. I have no idea how to run a sewing machine. So I’m stuck here. It looks like a Kawi 650 is the only type available. I’m almost certain it won’t fit.
That's actually really interesting, but I must admit that I have never seen such a thing before. i am assuming those strips on the outside are velcro? Is it for holding things or just a way to protect the tank?

In either case, I would bet you a car interior shop could whip something up like that for you, or just post an ad on facebook marketplace or craigslist looking for somebody proficient in such things.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:12 AM   #6

Quote:
the tank is a KLR 1st series after market tank...
but the cover shape looks like it would fit a DR650 tank better...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-19-2019, 04:58 AM   #7

Consider for inspiration: This

Old 10-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Megadan;321874]That's actually really interesting, but I must admit that I have never seen such a thing before. i am assuming those strips on the outside are velcro? Is it for holding things or just a way to protect the tank?

It’s Molle and that replaces the old ALICE clips, it’s how pouches are mounted. (Hint!! never volunteer for anything) Great idea to hold a tank bag anywhere or pop it off for not this ride today.

The idea was to cover the tank less invasively if I changed my mind later something I’ve never done . I’ll task the wifey for a sewing mission.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 10-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Paint the tank white the bike has to much black on it.
Yeah, I think you're right. Also it'll tie the front end and side panels together better
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam

Front fork brace

Old 10-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
That's actually really interesting, but I must admit that I have never seen such a thing before. i am assuming those strips on the outside are velcro? Is it for holding things or just a way to protect the tank?
Those are molles (Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment), they were made for the US Military, then adopted by NATO. Then some companies started to flood the market with molle stuff.
They are quite useful, you can attach different types of pouchs

Same motorcycle with some pouches.

Name:  tvp5.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  60.6 KB

Quote:

It’s Molle and that replaces the old ALICE clips, it’s how pouches are mounted. (Hint!! never volunteer for anything) Great idea to hold a tank bag anywhere or pop it off for not this ride today.

The idea was to cover the tank less invasively if I changed my mind later something I’ve never done . I’ll task the wifey for a sewing mission.
Oh you beat to the reply.
I guess those mole could helpful to a hunter than may be able to mount the gun to the side of the tank,
some ammo holders to the other side.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #11

So basically it's a modular tank bag lol.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I actually agree with this. In your bikes case it would look much cleaner with a white tank to match the plastics.

I have off and on considered de-palastification of my Hawk and doing some mods to make it look more like an old school Honda SL, big round fender, round headligh, and all. My only desire if I do that is to try and remove the brackets for the tank plastics to clean up the look. I am just wary of doing such a thing with such thin steel. I may order a TT250 tank when I attempt this just to get the better gas cap design while I am at it.
Navin on ADV had a thread where he turned a Pitster Pro into an old school bike.

I found it! https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-...400cc.1382988/

Old 10-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #13

Question...

I assumed the design and shape of the side tank plastics was to catch more air and draw it towards the air cooled engine...assume this was by design to cool more efficiently.

Perhaps removing them is negligible...cant help but think they serve a function and not just aesthetics

To be clear... I am asking...not telling.

The bike definitely looks sleek without them ( I have the same bike)

Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #14

They don’t really scoop much air it’s more of a design plastic style cover. Kinda like back east identified with the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and made a Dual Sport export only bike to show their gratitude and appreciation.

I humbly except this gift and shall dump clutch and thrash this gas powered shrubbery smasher relentlessly through the North American forests... keep the rangers.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Question...

I assumed the design and shape of the side tank plastics was to catch more air and draw it towards the air cooled engine...assume this was by design to cool more efficiently.

Perhaps removing them is negligible...cant help but think they serve a function and not just aesthetics

To be clear... I am asking...not telling.

The bike definitely looks sleek without them ( I have the same bike)
they're supposed to mimic cooling scoops for a radiator on liquid cooled bikes, they serve no purpose since they're too high above the cylinder head.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam

Front fork brace