Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #1

Kansas - Does "Dirt Bike" (vs "Motorcyle"

I just got a new Shineray 200XY1. It's the enduro/GY series with lights, horn, etc. The MSO says "Dirt Bike" for the body style though. Has this been a problem for for anyone else trying to get tags? I was thinking it would need to say "Motorcycle" in order to be street legal. I was able to get insurance through Geico by entering "Other" for the make, but I guess that doesn't mean it's street legal. From what I've read on other forums, Kansas doesn't let you convert off road vehicles to street legal. They don't have an inspection or certification process - They just say no! You can build your own chopper or make a kit car but you can't get tags for a off road bike.

That's what you get when you ebay! There I said it, you don't have to. I had to get this one, it was green!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #2

Rich

Did the guy advertise it as Street Legal? If he did, ask him to replace the MSO/MCO with one that says motorcycle instead of dirt bike. He has to if he advertised it as street legal.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #3

Call the seller and see if you can get an MSO that says motorcycle.

Allen

Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #4

I just heard from him and he said he could get me another MSO. He was smart enough to include the standard disclaimer in his auction. I wasn't too concerned about that because his ad had stuff like this in it:

"THERE ARE MANY SELLERS ON EBAY THAT DO NOT OFFER HEAD LIGHTS, TURN SIGNALS AND U.S CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN THAT ARE REQUIRED IN MANY STATES TO REGISTER THE BIKE
IN THIS AUCTION IT'S ALL INCLUDED"

So even though it's the "Buyer's responsibility" to find out about local laws, there was a lot of emphasis in the auction about the bike being street legal.

I've gone through a lot of the posts in this section and made some notes on how the various DMVs like the MSOs filled out. I'm going to mark one up and email it to him so he'll have a good example to go by. This is one of the reasons I got the bike in the dead of winter, so I've got a couple of months to mess around with this admin stuff before it's time to hit the road. I was just wondering if there was anyone else in Kansas that had experience with these things.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #5

In Kansas to convert from an offroad title to street legal you only need to have an inspection done by the county inspector (State Trooper). Most county revenue offices either have a day when the state trooper will be available or some trooper offices can do the inspection. I have done this twice with no problems, Kansas is much more lenient than most other states.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #6

Well the 'body style' wasn't an issue. They agreed to let me register it for the street when I showed them a picture and the description from the ebay action . It listed all the street equipment on it. However, they were a little concerned about the quality of the paper the MSO came on. When photo-copied it didn't reveal the words "void" like a real MSO. To prove it they copied a Ford MSO to show me how a real one looks when it's copied.

They didn't think I had done anything wrong, they were just worried that if it turned out to be stolen (since the document looked fake) that I would be out the fees and sale tax I paid, not to mention the cost of the bike. I told them I had fraud insurance since I purchased through ebay. So they went ahead and put it through. So I've got tags for the time being but I can't rest easy until the paperwork clears through the State capital and they send me a title (4 to 6 weeks).