Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

Rattling

Today I did my valve adjustment and the Hawk runs way better than what it was. But now it sounds like there is some rattling going on that I didn’t notice earlier. Could this be the valves?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by path1212 View Post
Today I did my valve adjustment and the Hawk runs way better than what it was. But now it sounds like there is some rattling going on that I didn’t notice earlier. Could this be the valves?
If the gap is too big, you are going to hear rattling noise. What specs did you use to set the gap???

Old 04-25-2021, 01:22 AM   #3

Quote:
It runs better because the valves are now actually sealing fully.

As far as "rattling" goes...

These valvetrains are noisy by nature. Solid tappets mean there is a need for a mechanical gap in order to compensate for thermal expansion and ensure that the valves fully seat. That gap, while small, is still being slapped open and closed at a high rate of speed, so it makes tapping sounds.

If the rattling noise is excessively loud it is possible that you misadjusted the valves, so you could always go back and double check, ensuring that you didn't adjust the valves on TDC on the exhaust stroke - a common mistake that many people make. Doing so here means that the tappets were both engaging part of the ramp on the cam lobe, which means when the gap is set it is even wider at TDC on the compression stroke, which is where valves should be set.

The issue is, I am not sure how familiar you are with what a proper tappet valvetrain should sound like, so what sounds like a cacophony of noise to you may be completely normal.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-26-2021, 03:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
If the gap is too big, you are going to hear rattling noise. What specs did you use to set the gap???

00.5 exhaust valve 00.3 intake

Old 04-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
00.5 exhaust valve 00.3 intake
to properly state/clarlfy: you probably mean, .005" exh .003" int (if youre talking SAE/standard)

or, .050mm exh .030mm int (if your talking metric) *which these metric settings would be too tight....
2019 Brozz 250