Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #1

New Hawk First Ride Dead Battery??

I finally finished up the prep on my new hawk EFI DLX and went out for a short ride. Within 12 miles the check engine light came on, it stalled after cutting out and the battery is completely dead..................Not even a click from the starter.
I had it on the charger yesterday and it was fully charged then. From what I've read it most likely is one of 3 parts that make up the electrical charging system.
problem is I bought from powersportsmax and i have never had any luck getting thjem on the phone. Their website shows the stator and regulater in stock.

Last edited by freezerboy; 04-04-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #2

The battery that came on my Chinese bike lasted two days short of 6 weeks before it went dead. Bought a new $30 battery, which looked like the finest ever made compared to the original, and have had zero problems for a year now. My take -- in a bike full of the cheapest parts on the planet, a crude, crappy battery is one of the more likely things to crap out, even after just one ride. One broken internal connection and you've got a plastic box full of lead and acid --- but no longer a battery.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #3

You might want to put a voltmeter on the battery with it running and be sure its charging. If it's not, then check the regulator connector under the tank.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #4

It suddenly started running rough, the check engine light came on as it backfired a couple times and when I pulled in the clutch the motor stalled.
Yesterday I placed a fully charge battery back in fired it up for a second and it had no check engine light and ran pretty well.

I will go over everything with a meter in a little while. I have seen where people put dielectric grease on all connections but I've read That's not the greatest idea. Has anyone used 846 carbon conductive grease on any connections?
Thank you very much for the input - much appreciated

Old 04-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #5

Update:
The battery tests out at 12.9v at first, and only declines from there. Especially when I turn on the lights. I can rev the engine but no change.
The stator tests ok on the meter and all connections that I can find seem good so I went and ordered a new voltage reg. I'll post how that goes on Thursday when it comes in.