Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2022, 09:59 AM   #1

Tao 125 Service Manual?

I have done a google search and it appears that there is no service manual for the Tao 125 but I thought I would check to see if anyone had found one. I also read somewhere that the engine may be a knock off of a Honda engine and if anyone could confirm the rumor. If so maybe a Honda manual might help.

I just picked up 3 Tao 125's that are not running. The person I purchased them from said that they ran fine last fall but when they got them out this spring they would not run. He took them to a small engine repair shop that did some disassembly and gave him an estimate to repair that was more than they were worth. He has no mechanical aptitude so just unloaded the lot. I am a pretty good shade tree mechanic so I am going to take a shot at it but given that there has been some disassembly I was hoping to find a manual.

Thanks in advance for any support.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:48 PM   #2

I don't really think any of these chinese bikes/atv's have service manuals, at least none that I've ever seen. I had a couple of owners manuals for GIO ATV's and they were kind of a joke as well, no real info.
Standard troubleshooting methods apply, or google searching symptoms for the model you have might give you the information you are looking for to get them going. Also, asking here is a good step as well, lots of people here with experience on these chinese bikes. Quite often the issue is simply plugged jets in the carb from sitting and or a dead battery.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
I don't really think any of these chinese bikes/atv's have service manuals, at least none that I've ever seen. I had a couple of owners manuals for GIO ATV's and they were kind of a joke as well, no real info.
Standard troubleshooting methods apply, or google searching symptoms for the model you have might give you the information you are looking for to get them going. Also, asking here is a good step as well, lots of people here with experience on these chinese bikes. Quite often the issue is simply plugged jets in the carb from sitting and or a dead battery.
Agree about the carb. They are so cheap that's it's just easier to replace them than fiddle;

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one on my grandkids 125cc and it works great.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 05-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately they have been partially disassembled by the guy that was trying to fix them. The shift levers and one of the clutches are out so I was hoping to get an idea of how to reassemble. I can probably take one of the good ones apart to figure out the clutch but not sure how the shifters are mounted.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPappy View Post
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately they have been partially disassembled by the guy that was trying to fix them. The shift levers and one of the clutches are out so I was hoping to get an idea of how to reassemble. I can probably take one of the good ones apart to figure out the clutch but not sure how the shifters are mounted.
Here's a youtube video on clutch replacement on the Tao 125, it might show you the info you need to reassemble? Hopefully anyway. Cheers!

Old 05-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Here's a youtube video on clutch replacement on the Tao 125, it might show you the info you need to reassemble? Hopefully anyway. Cheers!
Thank you, I will take a look.