Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #1

TMEC 200 vs Roketa Storm 250

Getting ready to pick one of these two. Which one would you buy and why? Thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #2

I picked my new TMEC because I owned an '09 TMEC (I bought it used with unknown mileage because the speedo was broken). I rode it for 18 months or so putting over 10k miles. Wanted to try a new one because I sorted out the old one for the most part, but it was getting beat up. It had an oil leak from when I first owned it, for instance, and everything seemed to be covered in oil. However, for the most part, no matter how oily it was, and the engine was eventually welded directly to the frame, and other things, the bike always started every morning, took me 16.3 miles to work in the morning, and the same number of miles back. I figured, since I had sorted the old one out, why not get a brand new one?

The Bashon lineup is relatively new (I think there are 3 or 4 models) so not too many people have written about them. There are a few of us with TMECs, so there is strength in numbers and knowledge. Excalibur is a good distributor, and have been around a while, so getting parts for the TMEC is straightforward as far as a telephone call. Hopefully the TMEC Denalis are selling, too, meaning more numbers of owners (the Denali is the same exact bike as the TMEC sold via Excalibur, but sold via a different distributor) and more business for Excalibur as far as parts are concerned. In other words, the more people own these bikes, the more parts will be needed, meaning these bikes will remain attractive to Excalibur to sell (remember they sold them as far back as '09).

I am pretty sure the Bashon bikes are fine, however, but the question will be how is the aftersale care? Quality wise, I am fairly certain all these bikes are pretty much the same, meaning there will be parts needed with some fixes needed under warranty. How easy are parts for the Bashon bikes to get, and how repsonsive to warranty issues will the retailer and ultimately the distributor be? It's not like they are as high quality as a Honda--they will have issues and need for parts sooner or later. For me, I am sold on the TMEC, but that is me personally having owned one and now two.

But an intriguing thing for me about the Bashon? The larger available engine.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #3

Here's a link to a thread posted by a new owner of the Roketa Storm 250. Perhaps this information will help you to make a good decision.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13870

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #4

This is just a hunch but I am suspect that both units are possibly made at the same factory. There are just to many things that are similar. The forks, triple tree, plastic design, fuel tank, seat, frame layout and welding patterns that use supplemental plate supports, etc. Only real differences I see are you have the 167FMM (229cc) engine and there is no skid plate on the bottom. You also have hand guards on the bars.

I actually like the rotors on the Storm better, the TMECs are just to scalloped, I would like perfectly round the best. Also the counter balanced engine will be much smoother. As they say, there is no replacement for displacement.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Given otherwise equal bikes, I'd certainly choose the counter-balanced 229. That's more than a 10% increase, which can make all the difference in some situations.

Since both engines are CG-based pushrod motors, it's an apples to apples comparison.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

I agree with the others. If the prices are comparable, I would choose the bike with the larger engine.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

before i bought my tmec, i had been looking around for a few months. for me its just aesthetics. i was sold on a 250 and just narrowing down my choices, then one day just happened to see the tmec and knew right away that was the bike i wanted (just because of the looks). i figured being chinese bikes, they were all built similar - with their own unique quirks to each brand, and didnt do much research on what after purchase assistance would be like. but I'm thinking i made the right choice here, though with this forum, i think you can get help finding any part you need. these guys go out of their way to help.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
These guys go out of their way to help.
This is a really good community, and it makes me want to help. In Doc's words, I'm happy to serve.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
before i bought my tmec, i had been looking around for a few months. for me its just aesthetics. i was sold on a 250 and just narrowing down my choices, then one day just happened to see the tmec and knew right away that was the bike i wanted (just because of the looks). i figured being chinese bikes, they were all built similar - with their own unique quirks to each brand, and didnt do much research on what after purchase assistance would be like. but I'm thinking i made the right choice here, though with this forum, i think you can get help finding any part you need. these guys go out of their way to help.
You are correct on similar build quality, but you hit on after purchase assistance, which is why I try steering people to the TMEC. It's too bad that TMEC keeps renewing their EPA certificate with the 200cc engine, rather than getting the 229cc (or 223cc as is the case for some of these bikes) certified, but I do believe that is a whole other process and cost, and would start them out at ground zero (although they could keep renewing the 200 so they could sell those in the interim, or as well side by side with a '250' once that certificate went through).

I am not sure how responsive the distributor(s) for the Bashan are--Roketa is one of them, and I believe Peace Sports (who are more known for scooters) is another. This would be for things like MCO paperwork or any needed parts. TMEC and Bashan do not use the same parts, even though they look similar, so it wouldn't be as easy as calling Excalibur (which, in retrospect, would have been a good idea for Excalibur to carry the Bashan!) to order parts.

The good thing with all of these is that the engines generally do not need service, so at least these things will keep running--it is just the rest of the parts where I am sold on the TMEC, as long as Excalibur keeps bringing them in (as well as Linhai who are bringing in the Denali TMEC which is the same bike which will keep their numbers up and convince Excalibur to hang on to them at least from a parts perspective).

As far as the several moderators and long-timers like Spud, Weld, Doc, humanbeing, and Kato (and others who I know I am forgetting)--you guys should be getting checks from the Chinese motorcycle industry for keeping people on the road and buying these things! Because of you guys, I had the confidence to fix and modify things on my older TMEC.

Which brings me to what bike to get--get the one that seems to appeal to you most and will give you the least issues, and the one you can find parts, although the guys listed above could probably keep you going!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I have decided to order the Storm 250cc and I have made that decision based on power alone. I believe I would get better support from excalibur and I like the look of the TMEC better but at 6'3" and 250lbs I need every cc I can get. Hopefully excalibur will bring the TMEC over in a 250cc as that would be a winner for sure.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

Looks like TMEC does make a 250CC model...just never saw it for sale over here.

http://www.tmecpower.com/product.asp?id=1175&bid=118

Actually two models:

http://www.tmecpower.com/product.asp?id=1119&bid=118

Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #12

Manufacturers always have a slew of products they COULD offer on their website, which tend to tease because the ones NOT offered always seem to be cooler than the ones readily available. The only 250 I have ever seen from TMEC is a photo of one for sale in Mexico, and that could just be a sticker!?

Ogre81--we look forward to your reports on the Bashan! Keep us updated...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre81 View Post
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I have decided to order the Storm 250cc and I have made that decision based on power alone. I believe I would get better support from excalibur and I like the look of the TMEC better but at 6'3" and 250lbs I need every cc I can get. Hopefully excalibur will bring the TMEC over in a 250cc as that would be a winner for sure.
Good for you. If you plan to assemble the bike yourself, please take lots of photographs of the arrival of the shipping crate, and the assembly process. We love viewing the arrival and assembly of new bikes.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre81 View Post
I think that's a good move, and I hope it brings you many happy miles. Like Spud says, please take many pics!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Good for you. If you plan to assemble the bike yourself, please take lots of photographs of the arrival of the shipping crate, and the assembly process. We love viewing the arrival and assembly of new bikes.
Spud I do plan on assembling it myself. Are there any aftermarket parts you think I should put on the bike while I am doing the assembly such as a chain or sprocket etc? I have seen you recommend the rotella 15w40 which I have plenty of at home. Any other tips for assembly? Thanks for the help.