Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #1

I think it went kaplooie! :(

I had the LF100 out for a quick ride last night and I am 99% sure the motor has had a major meltdown. I was cruising along and it started to make some popping noises and then it shut down completely and wouldn't restart. I checked my electrical components with known good parts and it still won't start. When I go to start it now it is literally sending a spray mist of gas out of the carb. This would indicate to me that I have a major timing problem. Is the valvetrain on a 100cc Lifan vertical controlled by a chain? If it is, I'm fairly certain that the chain has either jumped or broken. My options at this point are to either repair this motor (not sure if it's worth it), replace the motor with a 163FML 200cc or tor replace the bike (seems like it would be pretty expensive). Any opinions on what might have happened? It was acting like it was giving up at full throttle earlier in the day and then it went completely "soft" when it quit.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

i could be wrong (like i am 99% of the time) thats a pushrod motor i would check the valves for clearance or burn regardless its fixable if it turns over. one of the beauties of this is cheap bike = cheap parts may thake time to find the needed parts but they should be cheap even if you have to go through you know who to get them :wink:
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #3

I think Phil is right, but the easiest way to check to see what you have is to pull the valve cover. If you have a big gear and chain it is just like an xr100.

Allen

Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #4

What about instead of using you know who, if I looked for a Zongshen motor? Would a 200cc Zong fit in there?

Phil

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #5

sorry red i think the 200 zong i get is toooooo big , but i do have a genuine you know what whole bike at cost. but i dont know where your at ? also think of this: a engine (and i have been looking hard) costs about 250 usd if i buy from china then i have to ship it here and thats no name choice no warranty that i know just a basic motor. not good idea, fix (broke english ) i will be glad to help any way i can just let me know what i can do :wink: but check out what happened first it could just need a valve adjusted, i have to look on the bright side,,,,,its all i have left

Old 06-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #6

If yours is the same as mine, Lifan QP100 GY, Hooper sells that motor for $299.00. He also has replacement shocks, swingarm and fenders.

http://www.hooperimports.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=04

He has the whole bike on clearance for $650.00.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

I pulled the valve cover off tonight and the valves are definitely opening and closing via a chain. I am completely baffled as to why it will not fire. I checked my electrical and it seems to be as it should be. I took the red wire at the ignition switch and jumped it to the black wire so it would basically be ready to fire. However, when I attempted; you guessed it, no joy. How would I go about checking if the valves are adjusted correctly?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #8

Also Red, I saw on your other post that you needed a new rear shock because you thought it had settled. Check your swing arm first. I thought my son's Lifan had had shock settling issues, but it turns out the swing arm is the problem. he has been letting a heavier, much heavier, cousin ride the bike. The swing arm is made of square sheet metal and the place where the shock mounts to the bottom has sunk into the swing arm. I haven't decided whether to take the swing arm off, try to cut out the shock mount and re-weld it with a reinforcement, or to just get a new swing arm. My Tank 200 has had some shock settling problems, so much so that I had to cut down the kickstand to be able to park it without leaning it against a tree, but the little Lifan shock seems ok, a little soft, but ok, just a swing arm problem. If we could find anyone that needed a frame, it would be about worth it to buy a new one and part it out. I need side plastics and a swing arm.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

I checked the swingarm and it's ok. The spring is just really soft. I considered rewelding a new mount but reconsidered when I found a replacement shock on ebay. I'm really at a loss as to what I should do with this bike. I've been browsing Gio's site and seriously considering the X31.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #10

have you checked for compression? roughly to check for the clearance turn the engine over untill the lobe points away from the rocker you should be able to feel just a tiny bit of slack or loosness in the rocker arm do this for both valves no this isnt exact we are just looking good enough for a "why" some pictures would be nice i only sold a couple of these and havent seen the inside

Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #11

If the chain jumped a tooth the timing will be off and it won't start or it will backfire. Check the timing while you are checking the valves. Refer to the procedure in the dual-sport forum. It should work for your 100 also.

Is there tension on the timing chain? Maybe the tensioner failed letting it jump time.

Allen

Old 06-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #12

Here is the update. The piston is burnt pretty badly and I have about zero compression with the valve adjusted properly. It's too bad the 100cc is discontinued at Hooper. I found a guy on Planet mini.com with a 150 Lifan motor for sale. Hopefully I don't get burned on it if he sells it to me. I went out yesterday and shopped three of the big Japanese four brands and on avg, I'm looking at 3-3500 dollars to replace my bike with a 125-150cc trail bike. I sat on the Honda CRF150 and I was in love. I'm not in love with the price though. I could easily buy 2 Gio's for that kind of money. I'm so up in the air over this. i really just want to take a nice long trail ride.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #13

Never buy new, Let somone else pay the tax and fee's

Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #14

I would look for a 2-3 year crf150. Probably be half of new. Also the ttr 125 yamaha is a good bike.

Allen

Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #15

LOL you read my mind. I have found multiple CRF's for arond 1700-1800. I like the TTR's as well. I'm a little more partial to the CRF's because of the extra displacement (I can't help it - after all; I did put a 5.0L v8 in a Ranger pickup LOL). I don't think the extra 25 cc will make a lot of difference, but I just like the look of the Hondas.