Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #1

Hawk 250 Front Wobble

Hey guys,
I haven't posted in forever because, honestly, most of anything I'll ask is already here, but I have a problem I've tried every written solution to fix and it hasn't.

When riding my 2018 Hawk 250 non-efi (bought it used at 30 miles/km, currently at 100 miles/km on odo) as soon as I hit 50+ on the speedo (original speedo, not digital) on a smooth paved road (i've tried different roads). The front of the bike starts to wobble. This wobble gets worse the faster I go. If I pull the bars to me or push the bars away hard enough, the wobble stops, as soon as pressure on the bars is released the wobble comes back. Here's a list of what I have tried/inspected.

All of the below were done by me, not a shop. I was comfortable doing most everything here, with the exception of balancing and fork tensioning as those seem to be more "up to your judgement" type jobs, and I really like clear cut answers (love torque values lol).

-Front and rear tire pressure checked.
-Front and rear axles greased
-Front and rear wheels balanced
-Front and rear spoked checked for tension
-Front fork oil drained and replaced
-Front and rear axle nuts were tightened to forum recommended torque values as you guys mentioned the manual is way too high.
-Changed out front and rear sprocket to elongate the...footprint? Idk, put the wheels farther out to help with geometry (someone mentioned this might be an issue)
-Checked the tires, they're the stock ones.
-Checked the front wheel for dents/bends
-Checked brake drag
-Checked front to rear wheel alignment, (bought a tool for this)
-Checked the bearings:
I wanted to elaborate on this one because it MIGHT be an issue, but when I was balancing the front wheel at around a 30 degree section of the front wheel when spinning I could feel drag from something. If it's the bearings I feel like it would be constant drag, so I'm not too sure what this was but it was consistent.

Anyhow, I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any advice? Could my forks be bent from the previous owner or something? If so how do I check something like that? It should be noted I removed the front fairings on the tank as they were damaged when I purchased it.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:06 PM   #2

Check the steering neck for play or slack.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-04-2023, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply! How do I check this? I tried checking by locking the front wheel between my legs and turning the handle bars, but the only "give" is when the forks twist (honestly too easily in my opinion lol). Is there another way to check it?

Actually just found this video:

I'll do this today if I can find something to jack it up on.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:47 PM   #4

Okay, well. I checked it and there was a bit of wiggle but I couldn't tell if it was just the shocks or if the steering head was loose so I tightened it a bit and turned the bars back and forth to make sure it wasn't binding or too tight and it seemed fine, took it for a test drive and, like clockwork, I hit 55 and the thing starts to wobble like crazy, probably MORE violently than it used to. So not the steering neck.

I DO want to add, when I was balancing the front wheel it sounded almost like there was sand in the tire? I'm guessing someone added balance beads to it? would this cause it?

Old 05-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecklen View Post
I DO want to add, when I was balancing the front wheel it sounded almost like there was sand in the tire? I'm guessing someone added balance beads to it? would this cause it?
That is very possible. I would check that for sure.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
That is very possible. I would check that for sure.
Okay, I was trying to avoid this as I don't have a shop that works on motorcycles within like... 45 min of me, but I'll have to track one down. I appreciate you! I'll keep you updated on if that fixes it. Also wanted to add, I watched your channel a lot about a year ago, ended up helping a friend do that oil cooler mod you showed, so thanks for that as well!

Old 05-06-2023, 01:25 AM   #7

Have you added weight to the back of the bike like a trunk or panniers that stick out in the wind?

Old 06-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecklen View Post
Hey guys,
as soon as I hit 50+ on the speedo (original speedo, not digital) on a smooth paved road (i've tried different roads). The front of the bike starts to wobble. This wobble gets worse the faster I go.

I have something like this. But it's more of a vertical vibration, rather than a horizontal wobble. No solution, but it's quite slight so I ride through it.
Tried balancing the tire, but it was already pretty balanced.

I'm guessing the wheel isn't true and there's a resonance about 50 mph, forks seem to damp it out and I actually get a beat frequency that's maybe 1/3 Hz - the wobble comes and goes with a period of roughly 3 seconds.

Once I get up to about 65 I don't notice it anymore.

Maybe adjusting the spokes can get a more true wheel so my vertical vibe goes away.
Is there a good video on that?

Old 06-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #9

TRy a new front tire,stock ones are junk.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:10 PM   #10

I am no gorilla, but the amount of tension on the steering bearings is what I can twist with my thumb and first finger.

I do this while sitting on the bike with the front brake pulled, rocking forward and back. You can feel the thump if it is loose. And you can feel it go away with HAND tension. Then I tension the locking nut. THIS WORKS.

Tighten more and you are just overtightening, doesn't help.

Gorilla away as much as you want. All you are doing is limiting movement of the steering and damaging the bearings. I have owned more than 50 motorcycles. The old GS series wobbled even when they were properly adjusted!

Old 06-11-2023, 11:18 PM   #11

The fact that pushing the bars forward, or pulling them towards you seems to take the wobble away makes me think it would almost have to be in the steering neck assembly. I would put the bikes front tire up against a wall, and push the bike forward, and see if you can see any thing moving, or wiggling, or maybe just get on the bike, or have someone else get on it, and hold the front brake hard, and try going back, and forth while looking for slop. I don't see how pushing forward, or pulling back on the bars could have any affect on a bent, or badly imbalanced wheel, or bad wheel bearings, warped rotor, or really anything bellow the steering bearings.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:25 PM   #12

Are you using knobby dirt tires or are you using street tires? Or is it a dual purpose tire? I know that when I put brand new dirt tires on my old bike and then took it out on the highway the thing was sort of skipping and bouncing along, especially the front tire. Also at 55 it was way worse but at 75 it stopped and even at lower speeds it wouldn't be as bad but for some reason at 55 it was bouncing and skipping up and down. I figured out that it was those knobby tires though and I only rode on pavement when I had to. I'm only mentioning this because it looks like you've gone through everything else that could be the issue, plus you mentioned that you were on pavement so I just thought I'd mention it even if this is an old thread.

Old 01-14-2024, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes. Front steering head bearings probably not sugged up. Just more than hand tight is typically enough, but there is probably a lock ring to help keep them tight!