Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2020, 01:10 AM   #1

New issue on new db14

This afternoon we took it out for a run and it started fine, idled fine, but when we gave it throttle, it died or tried to die. If I gave very little throttle, it would rev but anything more than an 1/8th throttle, it would bog and try to die.

What I've done so far:
I've cleaned both jets and rechecked my carb settings. I've reset the settings completely and tried to find new settings. Float looks good but maybe I am not sure what to look for if it is bad. Youtube says to make sure it is level in a "resting" position and it is. I've done the spray check for leaks (none, I put gasket sealer on the header when I first bought it because it did leak), and I've tried every notch on the throttle cable pin inside the spring assembly (sorry, not sure what it is called). It seems to work best at the top notch, but it was previously set to the third notch from the top to run the best yesterday. Bogged worse the further down I went and wouldn't start at all once I hit the 4th notch.

Noting I did a valve adjustment at the beginning of yesterday because it was running rough. It ran fine and great all day yesterday after the adjustment. Did not check this to see if this is the issue, again, yet. Set to .007 intake/exhaust. If this is incorrect, please tell me what to set it to.

I've checked the spark plug and it was caked with carbon. Cleaned it, put it back, tried starting and throttling it a few times, exact same issue. Checked plug, carbon caked again.

At this point, I'm at a loss. It seems to be burning very rich and possibly flooding (or trying to flood) when you give it throttle. But I don't know how to stop it at this point. I did nothing to it except clean the jets in between yesterday and today, and it starts right up, just doesn't like throttle.

Could it be the float? What should I be looking for to adjust it? Valves?

Old 02-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseW84myRX8 View Post
This afternoon we took it out for a run and it started fine, idled fine, but when we gave it throttle, it died or tried to die. If I gave very little throttle, it would rev but anything more than an 1/8th throttle, it would bog and try to die.

What I've done so far:
I've cleaned both jets and rechecked my carb settings. I've reset the settings completely and tried to find new settings. Float looks good but maybe I am not sure what to look for if it is bad. Youtube says to make sure it is level in a "resting" position and it is. I've done the spray check for leaks (none, I put gasket sealer on the header when I first bought it because it did leak), and I've tried every notch on the throttle cable pin inside the spring assembly (sorry, not sure what it is called). It seems to work best at the top notch, but it was previously set to the third notch from the top to run the best yesterday. Bogged worse the further down I went and wouldn't start at all once I hit the 4th notch.

Noting I did a valve adjustment at the beginning of yesterday because it was running rough. It ran fine and great all day yesterday after the adjustment. Did not check this to see if this is the issue, again, yet. Set to .007 intake/exhaust. If this is incorrect, please tell me what to set it to.

I've checked the spark plug and it was caked with carbon. Cleaned it, put it back, tried starting and throttling it a few times, exact same issue. Checked plug, carbon caked again.

At this point, I'm at a loss. It seems to be burning very rich and possibly flooding (or trying to flood) when you give it throttle. But I don't know how to stop it at this point. I did nothing to it except clean the jets in between yesterday and today, and it starts right up, just doesn't like throttle.

Could it be the float? What should I be looking for to adjust it? Valves?
Have you messed with the choke setting at all? That's the first thing we ask about or look for when those symptoms are explained and then we go from there.

Chris