Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Trip to Chile for solar eclipse, need some advice

Hello, I am an amateur astronomer last year I witnessed the solar eclipse in Nebraska it was a fantastic experience, that although can be explained rationally it gets you deep in a way hard to describe.
It was interesting since we had to chase good weather, we originally planned to watch it in Atchison Kansas but it was raining and we decided to run for it and went to Nebraska instead, fortunately it was a great success.
We parked in a camping site and there I met many bikers from differents parts of the country who traveled to Nebraska for the same purpose, and that got me thinking about the next eclipse, it will be in Chile (29.9027° S, 71.2519° W). So I decided that instead of flying I would have an adventure and go there in a motorcycle.

I am considering many options BMW G310 GS; Vstrom 250; Honda xre300 or a Versys 300 but there is this problem with Panama that you can't cross by land so either you fly or send the bike on a container (also you can hire Jack sparrow and sailboat) either way its expensive therefore the Zongshen RX3 went to the top of my list.

This bike is sold on many countries on many different names (Corven triax, AKT Adventure etc) and spare parts can be found in many places.
Yet what scares me is the Delphi EFI system, I am confident I can solve most mechanical problems, (and that the bike can deal with a 15000 mile trip) nevertheless if the computer fails I would certainly be stranded in the desert or in a freezing mountain far far from help.

I wish there were a “dummies” version of the ECU fault codes, something like:
“p0040: Replace this or that component”
“p00xx: Curl into a ball and cry”

So far my research has lead to mostly positive reviews I have talked to some owners, unfortunately they own the carburated version and only the EFI version is available now.
I Have found no reliability studies, yes I know about CSC 5000 mile trip but since that was a sponsored event I wonder if there was an army of mechanics following them, which I will not have on my trip.

I am talking with some friends about doing this adventure together, yet they are uncertain, nevertheless I will do it solo if I have to. BTW it is an awesome project with an amazing ending (the eclipse) and would love to have company if anyone is interested.
I would greatly appreciate any input from you guys.
Best regards
Eliut

Old 04-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #2

You probably want to speak with Joe Berk of CSC about your concerns. Heck, you might convince him to set up a ride to Chile like he does with his Baja rides. Whether he can set up an ambitious ride in time, or ride personally with you (he would gain lots of R and D), or set your mind at ease, you would definitely want to speak with him.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard