Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #1

My dilemma!

So here is the skinny. First I am still selling my Vulcan 500cc as it is way to much for me. Second, when I do sell it I am torn between three bikes. The Venom X22r, the venom x22 got, and the venom Ghost. They are all so nice looking.
My real dilemma is longevity. Do these bikes hold up for a while? Does anyone know?

Old 05-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #2

I beat the snot out of my first China bike I bought. Rode it 12 months out of the year in weather as cold as 9 degrees Fahrenheit and as hot as over 100 degrees. Left it outside for two years straight and changed the oil maybe five times. The only time it quit on me was when I forgot to put gas in it and ran out. There were a few issues with the speedometer cable when it was new but otherwise nothing broke. The bike lasted me over three years and was still running strong the day I sold it. I only got rid of it because at the time I needed some cash. There is always a chance that anything you buy at any price point can break or have issues. The beauty in these inexpensive Chinese bikes is their simplicity and ease to work on. Buy from a reputable dealer/brand take care of the bike, do regular recommended maintenance and it should last for many years.

Last edited by MeatHammer; 05-07-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Forgot details

Old 05-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #3

The motors are long proven as reliable. As far as the bikes you are interested in. The X22R and Ghost are going to be traditional motorcycles while the X22GT is basically a sport bike body with a scooter engine and CVT setup.

Most of these bikes will have their own little teething problems and may require a little know how on your part to trouble shoot and repair, but they are still very easy to work on and even the most inept newbie could get by with one of these. As long as you remain realistic about what these bikes are they really wont disappoint you.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHammer View Post
I beat the snot out of my first China bike I bought. Rode it 12 months out of the year in weather as cold as 9 degrees Fahrenheit and as hot as over 100 degrees. Left it outside for two years straight and changed the oil maybe five times. The only time it quit on me was when I forgot to put gas in it and ran out. There were a few issues with the speedometer cable when it was new but otherwise nothing broke. The bike lasted me over three years and was still running strong the day I sold it. I only got rid of it because at the time I needed some cash. There is always a chance that anything you buy at any price point can break or have issues. The beauty in these inexpensive Chinese bikes is their simplicity and ease to work on. Buy from a reputable dealer/brand take care of the bike, do regular recommended maintenance and it should last for many years.

I am in no way endorsing treating your motorcycle(s) like crap. Just giving an example of the durability that China bikes can offer.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #5

Hopefully you have a place to keep the Bike more or less out of the weather, or at least direct rain, etc.If not, invest in a good , rainproof cover, water is not a friend to China bike electrics or frames etc.
If longevity is a key concern, I suggest you go with the Ghost as its "naked" design will make regular maintenance a lot easier than having to deal with all the plastics on the X22R .It's not a huge deal but I have found myself putting parts swaps off or delaying maintenance on my Vader because for whatever reasons you have to take the plastics slap off it to do far too many things , or to gain access. After a while, it does get easier, but at the same time gets more annoying .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 05-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The X22R and Ghost are going to be traditional motorcycles while the X22GT is basically a sport bike body with a scooter engine and CVT setup.
The X22R would be the last on my list honestly. I like the sporty scooter look, but I might end up with the Ghost, or honestly depends on how I feel that day I buy

Old 05-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorCzo View Post
The X22R would be the last on my list honestly. I like the sporty scooter look, but I might end up with the Ghost, or honestly depends on how I feel that day I buy
That new 2020 Ghost would be my choice. Believe me, nothing wrong with the X22R. Great commuter bike, drives perfect and plenty fast enough for the highway. But for just running around on the back roads 55-65 mph like you mention in another post the Ghost would be the better option.
I was looking for a good commuter bike capable of interstate speeds. I wanted the Venom GTO 250 (really a 320cc) but was out of my price range, then i wanted the KPM200 but wasn't available so figured i'd try the X22R and glad i did. Wouldn't you know the KPM200 was available 1 month later. And now the New 2020 Ghost. My life story. I knew i should of waited a little longer. lol Who knows, i might end up getting one before the end of the year. Nothing wrong with having 3 bikes Right!? Someone say "Right" so i can justify getting one or at least have someone to blame.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 05-08-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
That new 2020 Ghost would be my choice. Believe me, nothing wrong with the X22R. Great commuter bike, drives perfect and plenty fast enough for the highway. But for just running around on the back roads 55-65 mph like you mention in another post the Ghost would be the better option.
I was looking for a good commuter bike capable of interstate speeds. I wanted the Venom GTO 250 (really a 320cc) but was out of my price range, then i wanted the KPM200 but wasn't available so figured i'd try the X22R and glad i did. Wouldn't yu know the KPM200 was available 1 month later. And now the New 2020 Ghost. My life story. I knew i should of waited a little longer. lol Who knows, i might end up getting one before the end of the year. Nothing wrong with having 3 bikes Right!? Someone say "Right" so i can justify getting one or at least have someone to blame.
3? I say if you can afford it more. So right 3 is perfectly natural.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #9

When you say 'too much', what do you mean exactly?

Old 05-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #10

Jerry is always right .Now get that third bike .

Old 05-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
When you say 'too much', what do you mean exactly?
Power, Torque. I think it has more to do with the Ninja engine it in. I just think for what I would want a bike for a 500cc is overkill

Old 05-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #12

Honestly, unless you feel like it's too much power for you to handle, you've got a reliable mount, and it'll last a while, with no complexities getting parts, and easy serviceability at a dealership, plus, you shouldn't have any problems going on the highway, which aren't always guaranteed with a Chinese bike... I'd get some practice, learn to handle the bike, and keep it, but that's just me. If it were an issue of height, I'd just ride with some boots.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
My real dilemma is longevity. Do these bikes hold up for a while? Does anyone know?
To answer one of your original questions. These little engines are durable. I've been having my Hawk for around 3 1/2 years with about 7900 miles on it now. The bike has never failed me. Initial prep and regularly scheduled maintenance will keep these things running fr a long time. As you can tell from my list in my signature i have confidence in these bikes otherwise i wouldn't be here. lol The Hawk, ATV and UTV are probably put through the worst when going off road in the Spillway. When it's wet they all are usually covered from one end to the other with wet sandy mud and usually spend an hour or two just to clean them. lol Bet hey, it was fun getting them dirty. My X22R should last a long time as it will never see the Spillway. lol The more i look at the Ghost the more i want one. Like you sometimes i like to just lay back and go cruising through the back roads. I got to have a bike for each type of riding situation Right!?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Power, Torque. I think it has more to do with the Ninja engine it in. I just think for what I would want a bike for a 500cc is overkill
Got any pictures of the Vulcan? I had looked at a couple of used ones but the asking price for used around here is nuts.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #15

Regarding the Ghost, my first bike was a Bashan 250cc cruiser (see pic). It was great for cruising around town but anything more than a half hour got very uncomfortable. The problem was that the seat was too short and the bike was so low that I was kind of forced into an uncomfortable position. I would end up having to sit on the passenger seat if I traveled any kind of distance and my butt and lower back would be on fire I tried making some modifications but the bike just didn’t have the size to fit me comfortably. I am 5’11’ 170lbs so not a huge guy by any means. Might want to see if you can get a measurement of the seat before buying. That is what helped make my decision on buying the X22R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8C645E9-806D-4891-B887-00EEAC17F6A1.jpg (20.3 KB, 591 views)