Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Head Scratching Couple Bikes in VT !

Hey y'all.

Been lurkin for awhile on the forums and pulled the trigger on a couple bikes for my girlfriend and I to work on while visiting some family in the North East. A TBR7 and a Hawk.

Got started throwing them together today and is went as smooth a fresh belt of 100 grit sand paper!! haha yeah.

My dad got the hawk together and was putting around the yard just making sure it runs and ate shit. Rung his bell a bit, broke the head light plastic and bent the shit out of the front tire. That's embarrassing !!

I on the other hand got the TBR7 together but before starting her up I replaced the carb with a mikuni vm26 tht I threw a 110 main jet in. Now for the life of me I can't get the thing started.

Seems like gas is flowing, plug has spark, battery has voltage. But it seems to not be getting fuel. Bike doesn't even sputter up and die, just never gets off the ground to begin with. I don't know really what else to do, I've taken the carb apart about 3 times now. Tried everything except the kick start.

Also, both of the bikes starters would cut off when throttle was applied while trying to start... is that a thing? No idea why those would be tied together at all.

Anyways, I'm sure it will all work out. I'll post pics tomorrow. Any advice in the meantime would be amazingly helpful!!

Thanks, everyone.

Johnny

Old 04-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #2

Sounds like you jetted it wrong, to be fair the stock carb is nearly as easy and as good as the Mikuni copy

Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #3

Yeah I realized I could have modded the original pretty easily after I bought the carbs. Oh well, not too big of a deal. But I just threw a 110 main and left the pilot jet so I'm really surprised it wouldn't run at all. I'm at 600' or so, is that not a good place to start?

It seems like the bike is getting not near enough fuel so I'm at a loss for where to start.... All I did was replace the main jet and mess with the idle screw.... I did noticer that the plunger doesn't go all the way down when the throttle cable is attached. Possibly that's the issue?

Thanks

Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Does that bike have a side stand safety switch like ski rushes did ?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

You did the main jet. What about the pilot? Did you set the idle mixture screw? if so, what did you set it to? Full choke on that first start?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

I tried with and without the stand did wn but there’s no wires running to it. I left the pilot bit the same as what came in the mikuni. The little screw in the bottom of the car I went all the way in then 2 1/2 turns out as per moto cheez’ advice. Idle adjustment screw I’ve messed with endlessly.

Like i said the plunger leaves just a little gap when the throttle isn’t engaged. Tried starting with full, half and no choke. Just seems like fuel isnt getting through. I’ll try some more today and take some pics for you guys.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #7

Made a new thread to troubleshoot this issue...

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23429